Leicester City Breweries
All Saints' Brewery Co. Ltd. -
From 1791, Forrester & Son (Alexander and William) were trading on Highcross Street as 'brewers and brandy merchants' with the brewey being known as 'All Saints' from around 1800. Robert Birkley married into the Forester family and took over the business, being succeeded by Richard Gibbon who changed the name to the 'Anchor Brewery'. It then became 'Goodwin & Hobson' before becoming 'Cock & Moon' in the 1860's. Frederick Greaves Moon was murdered in London and, in 1873, William Langmore joined Thomas Cock to form 'Cock & Langmore'.
In 1877, Samuel Nevins Bankart joined Langmore to form 'Langmore & Bankart', which lasted until 1896 when the limited liability company of 'All Saints' Brewery Co. Ltd.' was formed by the merger of All Saints' with the Leicester wine and spirit business of 'Watts & Son'. The Registered Office was at 21 Silver Street.
Brewing continued until 1925 and, by 1929, the brewery and 81 licensed houses had been leased to 'Ind Coope & Co. Ltd.' for 21 years at £20,000 pa. By 1954 the business had been transferred to 'Ind Coope & Allsop Ltd.' and the buildings sold.
In 2011 an archeological evaluation was carried out on part of the site, finding significant evidence of Roman Leicester.
The office on Silver Street was eventually occupied by the 'Lamplighters', but the brewery buildings on Highcross Street became, in 2014, the object of a court case when developers Ingleby Ltd., who own the site, were prosecuted by Leicester City Council. They were fined for failing to maintain and clear the historic brewery site. This followed a number of arson attacks to the site and eventually led to overall demolition.
All Saints' Brewery (1891 sketch)
All Saints' Brewery (2011)
All Saints' Brewery [Leicestershire CC]
All Saints' Brewery
All Saints' Brewery (2012)
Watts & Son, High St.
(late 19th century)
Allen & Co. -
The Allen family has long associations with the brewing industry in Leicester. In the late 1860's, Thomas Allen ran the 'Lord Rancliffe' in Redcross Street and, in 1870, John Allen was a wine and spirit merchant on Gallowtree Gate. By 1875, 'Southern & Allen were mineral water manufacturers and 'Allen & Co.' were wine and spirit merchants on Humberstone Gate. In 1898, R. C. Allen was set up as a limited company, being a joint venture between 'Everards', 'Welch Brothers' and the 'Leicester Brewing & Malting Co.' to bottle beer brands other than those of Allsop's, Bass and Guinness.
Allen House (on the corner of Oxford Street and Newarke Street) was built in the late 1920's and incorporated both offices and the bottling plant. Taken over by 'Praeds in 1951, part of the building was eventually used as an antiques centre.
Allen & Co. (Humberstone Gate 1900)
Allen House (Oxford St)
Allen House (bottling plant)
Brunswick Brewery -
Built in 1858 in Christow Street, the 'Brunswick Brewery' (and inn) was run by Thomas Crane until his death in 1866. Crane had earlier set up a brewery in Kegworth which was sold on to 'Sidney Wells' in 1847. In 1898, the brewery was sold to NBC, and although brewing ceased, a new business, the 'Brunswick Bottling Co.' was established.
The 'Brunswick Brewery' was demolished sometime between 1912 and 1920.
Dem Bones -
Promoted as Leicester's first micro-brewery, 'Dem Bones' began in July 2013. It was a collaboration between Steve Jackman, landlord of the 'Salmon' and CAMRA member Lance Sullen, and was named after the discovery of the bones of King Richard III in a Leicester car park.
Located in Marlow Road, Leicester, 'Dem Bones' achieved instant success when its 'Dark Deeds Porter' was voted champion beer at the Hinckley Beer Festival in September 2013, but, unfortunately, due to ill health, had to close in 2015 with a new brewery, 'Great Central' taking over the premise.
'Everards' was founded by William Everard and Thomas Hull in 1849 when they leased the Southgate Street brewery of 'Wilmot & Co.', whose owners were retiring. A new purpose built brewery was erected on Southgate Street in 1875.
By 1877 the business had become 'Everard, Son & Welldon' until 1892 when William Everard died and his son, Thomas, took over.
Expansion led to the leasing of 'Bridge Brewery' in Burton-upon-Trent in 1895, and further expansion to the 'Trent Brewery' on Dale Street in 1898 (which was fully purchased around 1901). Trent was re-named the 'Tiger Brewery' in 1970.
Thomas bought out Charles Welldon in 1899 (for £21,000), so becoming 'W. Everard & Co.'.
Brewing ceased in Southgate Street in 1931, with all production moved to Burton, but the limited company of 'Everards Brewery Ltd.' was formed in 1936.
1978 saw the purchase of 24 pubs from 'Ruddles', and 1979 saw the purchase of a 134 acre greenfield site close to the motorway junction South of Leicester. The new plant at Castle Acres opened in 1985. Brewing in Burton ceased, but the old 'Tiger Brewery' was retained and converted into a brewery museum. In 2002 the company switched from a mixture of tenancies and managed houses to tenancies only.
Their website currently lists around 170 outlets.
W. Everard & Co. (1899)
Everards Southgate Brewery 1982 [Chris Pyrah]
Everards original Southgate Street brewery
Everards Castle Acres Brewery
Grand Central Brewery -
'Great Central' took over the premises on Marlow Road vacated by 'Dem Bones' demise. Located on the former track bed of the closed Great Central Railway, the breweries real ale names reflect classes of locomotives, including 'Arkwright' and 'Warship'.
Highcross Brewery -
Listed at 86 High Cross Street, the 'High Cross Brewery' was founded around 1850 by James Watson Cornelius Gurden who is listed as brewer between the 1860's and 80's, and Henry Heys listed as brewer from 1890-1904.
Hoskins Brewery -
Inn the 1870's, Jabez Penn, a blacksmith from Warwickshire, set up a general store in what was then Beaumont Road which supplied beer to the workforce building the Great Central Railway. In 1877 he added a brewhouse which he called the 'Hope Cottage Brewery'.
By 1895 this had been developed into a traditional tower brewery and, one year later, the road was re-named 'Beaumanor Road'. Over the next 15 years the brewery was extended and the capacity doubled. His daughter, Elizabeth was involved in the brewing, and, in 1901, married one Thomas Hoskins from Worcestershire, who became Penn's partner in 1904, trading as 'J. Penn & Co.'. By 1906 Hoskins had acquired full control and by 1909 the business had become the 'Tom Hoskins Brewery'.
A new bottling plant was added in 1930.
Tom died in 1952 and his son George took over. A merger with 'Ruddles' was considered but rejected. In the 1970's although they brewed only a draught bitter and a mild, their main trade was a bottled range of bitters, mild, pale ale and nut brown through their own outlets and to the free trade and private houses of Leicester. This included a seven pint can of beer which became the very popular and heavily advertised 70's icon, the 'party seven'.
The brewery remained in family hands until 1983 when the business was sold to the 'Saffron Walden Vineyard & Cider Orchard Co.'.
Philip and Stephen Hoskins, together with partner Simon Oldfield then established 'Hoskins & Oldfield Brewery Ltd.' which continued until 2000 when it was acquired and closed down by 'Archers'.
The 'Tom Hoskins' public house outlet in Beaumanor Road is still trading.
Hoskins Beaumanor Brewery [John Law]
Hoskins Beaumanor Brewery
Leicester Brewing & Malting Co. (Eagle Brewery) -
Started in Northampton Square by the Hannam family in the mid 1820's, the 'Eagle Brewery' moved to Charnwood Street in the 1870's, where, from 1880, it traded as 'Bates, Son & Bishell' until the 'Leicester Brewing & Malting Co. Ltd.' was registered in 1890.
The maltings were situated in Gresham Street. This change also included an association with 'Needham & Crick', maltsters of Churchgate.
Taken over by Ansells of Birmingham in 1952, the brewery survived as a bottling plant until the early 1960's.
Leicester Brewing & Malting Co.
(1919 visit of King George V & Queen Mary)
Eagle Brewery (Charnwood St)
Leicester Brewing & Malting Co.
Northampton & Leicestershire Clubs Brewery -
The Northants Clubs Brewery Union Scheme came into being around 1900 and the Leicester branch was formed in 1919. The total membership was around 50,000 at £2 per head. The business of 'Northants & Leicestershire Clubs Co-operative Brewery Ltd.' was formed in 1920 and the brewery on Syston Street opened one year later, using the maltings previously used by John Henry Taylor. They also had a transport depot on Gipsy Lane.
The name changed to 'Midlands Clubs Brewery' in 1960, but closed in 1969.
Original Brewery -
Part of the national concept launched by Bass, the 'Original Brewery' in Leicester was situated in the Hollywood Bowl ten-pin bowling centre on Meridian Leisure Park, and opened in 1995. Producing two bitters, two lagers and a special brew, the 15 barrels a week output was overseen by brewer Matthew Cook.
One of 10 similar outlets across the UK, it closed in 2001.
St. Martins Brewery -
In 1855 brewer and maltster Samuel Elae joined forces with auctioneer Richard Pepper Froane to form 'Else & froane' brewers, hop merchants and maltsters of Loseby Lane. The premises, at nos. 12-14, were re-built, in 1863, as a tower brewery. In 1872, the maltings were built in Friar's Road, but re-located back to Millstone Lane around 1890 when Friar's Road was demolished to make way for the Great Central Railway development.
Around the same time 'Else & Froane' were taken over by 'Welch Bros.', so forming the 'St. Martins Brewery'
Around 1920 the brewery was taken over by the 'Leicester Brewing & Malting Co.'.
The defunct brewery building is now a listed building next to 'O'Neill's' in Loseby Lane and the 'Welch Bros.' maltings building still exists in Millstone Lane.
Framework Brewery -
Advertised as 'Leicester's first craft brewery', the ;Framework Brewery is located in the Old City Depot building at 72-74 Friday Street, It was set up in 2016 by head brewer Andrew Goodliffe, together with Johnny Briggs, Michael Willis, James Willis and Matthew Mabe, and named to commemorate the earlier framework knitting industry in Leicester.