Acresford Brewery (Donisthorpe) -
John Harley Berry founded the brewery in Acresford in 1860, although Oliver Bowley, listed as a 'maltster and beer retailer as early as 1848, may have been a forerunner at the brewery.
By 1876 Samuel Cooper had taken over, but little is known until, in 1900, the brewery, now owned by George Cooper and William Field & Co., was taken over by Sydney Evershed of Burton, who, himself, was taken over by 'Marston's' who closed it in 1902.
In 1906, William Gervase Cooper bought the now empty brewery and converted the buildings into a corn mill, 12 cottages, an office and a place of worship with an adjoining schoolroom. A fire in 1923 and the death of William Cooper saw the site pass to his eldest son, who ran the business until 1944 when he sold it to 'Staffordshire Farmers Ltd.' who ran it as a farm food depot.
Situated close to the junction of the A444 and the B5002, the site was sold in 1998 to a developer, and is now occupied by 10 private houses.'
Acresford Brewery (1984)
Belvoir Brewery Ltd. (Old Dalby) -
Established by Colin Brown (who had worked for both Theakstons and Shipstones) in 1995 to the south-west of Old Dalby.
'Belvoir Brewery Ltd.' moved to purpose built premises in the village in 2007, where he joined forces with dianne Login.
The brewery now supplies over 275 pubs.
Belvoir Brewery, Old Dalby
Brewster's Brewing Co. (Stathern / Grantham) -
Started in a barn behind her parents house in Stathern, 'Brewster's' was set up by Sara Barton in 1998. Her first beer was called 'Maiden Brew' and her second, 'Marquis' was brewed especially for a TV programme about John Manners, Marquis of Granby, the benefactor of many a publican during the 18th century. Sara, herself, jointly ran the 'Marquis of Granby' in Granby near Bingham in Nottinghamshire for five years.
2006 saw a move to larger premises in Grantham and a growing reputation saw Sara named as 'Brewer of the Year' by the Guild of British Beer Writers and a promotion of her pale ale by Jamie Oliver in a head to head against Belgian beers in another TV programme.
She has since set up 'Project Venus', an initiative to bring female brewers together and promote beer drinking for women.
Both the 'Plough' and the 'Red Lion' in Stathern still sell Brewster's beers.
Brunt Bucknall & co. (Hartshorne Brewery, Woodville) -
Although not strictly a Leicestershire brewery (Woodville is right on the boundary between Leicestershire and Derbyshire), 'Brunt Bucknall' had depots in Leicester and served many outlets ithroughout the City and County, so is included nere.
The 'Hartshorne Brewery'was founded in 1832. By 1876 the business was trading as 'Brunt, Bucknall, Ratcliffe & Betterton', but became the limited company of 'Brunt Bucknall & Co.' in 1890 when it held 49 freehold, 46 leasehold and 6 one yearly tenancies.
In 1896 they opened offices and stores in Rutland Street, Leicester and, within two years, had supplemented these with premises in the High Street.
In 1919 the brewery was taken over by 'Salt & Co.' of Burton. This facilitated a move of their Leicester depot to Marlborough Street, but, by 1922 the agency was back at Rutland Street / Charles Street. Salts, themselves, were bought out by Bass in 1927, who immediately sold the Woodville site.
The bottling plant is the only brewery building that remains (now 'Victoria House'), but this, itself, is the object of a battle to save it from demolition.
Brunt Bucknall bottling plant
Buck's Brewery (Lutterworth) -
Arthur Bannister had been brewing in Lutterworth from around 1884. Thomas Palmer Buck had been brewing from behind the 'Windmill' in Walton also in the 1880's and bought out Bannister's Steam Brewery in 1900. The half tower brewery was behind Buck's off-licence in George Street and, by 1914, had four tied houses.
By 1931, three of what was then 'T. P. Buck & Sons' outlets, were mortgaged to Elworthey's of Kettering and within a year they were concentrating on bottling. They continued as bottlers and brewers agents, including bottling Guinness for Marston's until the early 1970's, but continued as brewers agents operating a beer at home service until Robert Buck retired in 1982, so closing the business.
The remaining brewery buildings were demolished in 1985, making way for a new Co-op store.
Cavendish Bridge Brewery (Castle Donington) -
Sources differ, but 'John Fletcher & Son' were certainly established as brewers at Cavendish Bridge by 1828. By 1840 George Trussell Eaton had taken over, running the business until his death shortly before the sale to Offiler's of Derby in 1896. Outlet quickly doubled and business grew until the first decade of the 20th century when a number of factors (the need for increased bottling plant, the gradual change from horse drawn to motorized transport, taxation changes and perhaps most seriously, growing competion from Burton-upon-Trent) saw numerous personnel changes and declining profits.
Changes with the deaths of long serving family members saw new blood rationalize the business by moving all brewing back to Derby and brewing at Cavendish Bridge ceased in January 1923. Malting continued at CBB or a short period, but had also closed by the end of the year.
1931 saw the sell off (to the 'Trent Navigation Co.' for £3,000) of 3 acres of CBB land, including the brewery, malthouse, outbuildings, plant and machinery as well as three houses. A further parcel of the site was also sold to Trent in 1936 who demolished the brewhouse to build a new bridge over the river.
Brewing returned to the site in 1994 when the old kiln house was converted to accommodate the new 'Shardlow Brewery'. By 1999 the brewery had extended into two floors of the former stables and served some 30 outlets.
Note - Ofiler's continued in business in Derby until 1965 when they were sold to Charrington's..
Cavendish Bridge Brewery (1985)
Charnwood Brewery (Loughborough) -
Andrew Reed, who spent 20 years with 'Batemans' in Wainleet, together with wife Andrea and son George opened 'Charnwood Brewery' in Jubilee Drive, Loughborough in 2014.
Charnwood Brewery (Loughborough)
Dow Bridge Brewery (Catthorpe) -
Named after a local bridge spanning the Avon, 'Dow Bridge Brewery' was established in 2001 by Russell Webb. Housed in a former coach house to the rear of a row of cottages, the brewery currently supplies over 30 pubs and clubs in Leicestershire, Warwickshire and Northamptonshire.
The beers are all named with a Roman theme.
Eady & Dulley (Market Harborough) -
Joseph Chamberlain Eady and Joseph Nunnerley ran a brewing business in Market Harborough from 1865 before being dissolved in 1881 when Eady formed a new partnership with William Dulley
'Eady & Dulley' were taken over by the 'Northampton Brewery Co.' in 1929 and closed in 1938.
Egerton Brewery (Melton Mowbray) -
William Adcock, innkeeper and maltster in Little London, Thomas Pickering Adcock, wine and spirit merchant in Sherrard Street and George Adcock, spirit merchant in Burton End, came together in 1848 and by 1855 the business was known as the 'Egerton Brewery'. However, a family dispute meant that both Thomas and George left leaving William who went into partnership with James Pacey to form the 'Adcock, Pacey & Co., Egerton Brewery', Nottingham Street.
By 1903 John and Walker Pacey were running the business, but, by 1919, it had been taken over by 'Brindley & Co.' for £63,000 which covered an estate of 32 pubs and one off-licence. (Note - Brindleys had been taken over themselves in 1914 by Ind Coope, but were still operating independently).
The brewery buildings were demolished in the early 1990's.
Egerton Brewery (1984)
Elliswood Brewery (Hinckley) -
Step-brothers Tracy Ellis and Phil Woodward opened the Elliswood micro-brewery in July 2013, the first brewery opening in Hinckley since 1900. It was sold on (in 2016) to Darren and Louise Lavender, licensees of the 'Greyhound' in Hinckley.
Gas Dog Brewery -
The 'Gas Dog' micro-brewery started operation at Burrough-on-the-Hill in 2013, before re-locating to the 'Noel's Arms' in Melton Mowbray.
It launched a 10 Leicester Legends limited edition beers range with 'Izzett bitter', named after former Leicester City footballer Muzzy Izzett and followed it up with 'Geordan 15', named after Geordan Murphy, former full-back and now coach of Leicester Tigers.
Golden Duck Brewery (Appleby Magna) -
Run by father and son team, Andrew and Harry Lunn, 'Golden Duck Brewery' is named for their interest in cricket.
It produced its first brew in June 2012 and distributes in Leicestershire, Derbyshire, Staffordshire, Nottinghamshire and Warwickshire.
In 2015, their beer LFB (Lunns First Brew) was introduced into the Strangers Bar in the Houses of Parliament as part of a scheme run by the All Party Parliamentary Beer Group and the Society of Brewers.
Langton Brewery (Thorpe Langton) -
Established in 1999 at the 'Bell Inn' at East Langton, the brewery re-located to larger premises in Thorpe Langton in 2005.
Langton & Sons (Melton Mowbray) -
The brewery founded at Thorpe End in 1865 by George and Henry Langton became 'Langton & Sons' in 1890, serving 14 tied houses in the area, but, by 1910, were out of business.
Market Harborough Brewery (Market Harborough) -
The Market Harborough Brewery on St. Mary's Road was opened at the end ofNovember 2015, and is run by brewer Simon Shepley.
An attached shop, open once a week, is its first outlet.
They merged with 'Tres Bien Brewery' of Tur Langton in 2016.
Midland Brewery Co. (Loughborough) -
Brothers William and Francis Harley began brewing on Derby Road in 1791. In 1855, George Redrup was the brewer at Harley's, and by 1863 the company was listed as 'G. & J. A. Redrup'.
In 1865 this was registered as the 'Midland Brewery Co.'. A stores was also opened in Humberstone Gate, Leicester. Redrup continued as brewer until 1876 when George Trease took over.
In 1896 the Midland took over Thomas Nuttall's 'North Leicestershire Brewery Co.' at Beeby. 1902 saw the sell off of 23 licensed houses and 11 off-licences to 'Stretton's and although the registered office became the 'Wardwick Brewery' at Derby, the Midland continued in its own right.
In 1927 'Allsop's' bought 'Stretton's', closing the Derby brewery but keeping the Midland site open, only to be finally closed in 1932.
When the brewery began in 1865 one of their outlets was on the corner of Humberstone Gate and Clarence Street in Leicester. Named 'J. Meadows Midland Distillery & Brewery' it lasted until between 1903 and 1906 when the building was taken over by 'Challis & Allen', wine merchants.
Later occupants have included 'Green's Electrical' and the 'Rival' clothing outlet.
Market Harborough Brewery
Midland Distillery & Brewery
(Humberstone Gate, Leicester - past)
Midland Distillery & Brewery
(advert) [Ned Trifle]
Midland Distillery & Brewery
(Humberstone Gate, Leicester - present)
North Leicestershire Brewery (Beeby) -
Thomas Nuttall, born in 1834, farmed at Beeby Manor, where, in 1875 he set up the first commercial Stilton cheese processing plant. By 1881 he is listed as 'farmer, maker of Stilton and brewer', and by 1884 his name is listed with the 'North Leicester Brewery' entry. The brewery also had a depot in Southgates, Leicester and Nuttall is shown to be owner of a number of pubs in the Town, including the 'Princess Charlotte'.
During the 1890's the Nuttall family left Beeby, and, in 1896, the brewery was bought by the 'Midland Brewery Co. Ltd.' of Loughborough with Job Facer as manager.
Thomas firstly moved to Uttoxeter and then to Ashbourne, where he died in 1926, aged 92.
Soon afterwards, the 'Midland Brewery Co.' was taken over by 'Stretton's' of Derby and brewing at the Beeby brewery ceased, although some of the buildings were used as stores until 1913. Some of the original brewery buildings remain and the site is now occupied by 'Brewery Cottages'.
Midland Brewery /
North Leicestershire Brewery
(Beeby) [Anthony Grahame]
Beeby Brewery (1975)
Old Brewery (Anstey) -
First listed as the 'Anstey Brewery' on Main Street (re-named Bradgate Road) in 1846. From 1862, William Rowbotham was listed as 'brewer, maltster and hop merchant', with a depot at 26 Cank Street, Leicester. By the early 1870's, John Doleman had become the brewer and in 1876 the name changed to the 'Old Brewery'.
'William Frederick Coupland & Co.' are listed at the Old Brewery between 1881-84, when Pettifor's take over, the brewery being listed as 'D. Pettifor & Sons Steam Brewery & Maltings'.
Taken over by 'Marston's' in 1900, the brewery passed to H. Widdowson around 1930, who operated until a partial closure in 1957, followed by a full closure in 1969.
Some of the buildings eventually became Potters carpet warehouse.
Parish Brewery (Burrough-on-the-Hill / Somerby) -
The 'Parish Brewery' started in 1984 in the cellar of the 'Stag & Hounds' in Burrough-on-the-Hill', before extending into the old stables at the rear of the pub two years later. In 1992 they moved to the rear of the 'Old Brewery Inn' in Somerby, before moving back to the 'Stag & Hounds' in 2003.
The 'Stag & Hounds' is now 'Grants Free House' run by Barrie Parish.
Pig Pub Brewery (Claybrooke Magna) -
The 'Pig Pub Brewery' was a project started in July 2013 at the 'Pig in Muck' public house at Claybrooke Magna. Ken Featherstone, with over 20 years in the business, is the head brewer.
Beers are also available at the 'Criterion' in Leicester.
Pig Pub Brewery
Sidney Wells Brewery (Kegworth) -
A brewery opened by Thomas Crane first appears in directories for 1828 in the Market place and was sold to Sidney Wells in 1847. (Note - Thomas Crane went on to open and run the 'Brunswick Brewery' and inn in Leicester until his death in 1866).
The brewery continued in the Well#s family until 1944 when Sidney Wells Jnr. died and was sold on to 'Worthington & Co. Ltd.' of Burton, but brewing ceased when the premises were acquired by the 'Hopewell's Hosiery Company'.
'Wells Brewery' serviced around 30 pubs with a fleet of steam traction engines and wagons. The premises were eventually demolished in 1992.
Sidney Wells Brewery
Sileby Brewery (Sileby) -
The 'Sileby Brewery' was started behind the 'Duke o York' by William Sharpe in the 1860's, but was taken over, in 1920, by 'Stretton's' of Derby. The sale included 15 licensed houses and 20 off-licenses. 'Stretton's themselves, were taken over by 'Allsop's' in 1927 who continued to use the maltings into the 1930's after which, 'Plunkett's' used the maltings until 1972.
The Grade II listed tower brewery building still exists and forms part of a recent redevelopment plan.
(Note - the 'Duke of York' is now called the 'Malt House').
The Maltings (Sileby)
Springwell Brewery (Kegworth) -
Opened in 1870 by brothers John and Thomas Barrow, the brewery was situated on land adjoining the grounds of Springwell House on Derby Road.
In 1875, Peter Sullins, a blind brewer from Hertfordshire, took over, trading as 'P. Sullins & Son'. By 1882, still run by Sullins, the name had changed to the 'Springwell Brewery Co. Ltd.', but by 1884 had run into financial trouble, eventually, in October, entering voluntary liquidation and in early 1885 the house, grounds and brewery were sold on to Hugh Wilson for £2,500.
The brewery continued until 1888 when it was sold to 'Marston's' (for whom Wilson became district manager).
Closed in 1895, the brewery building became a glue factory, but Wilson, who continued to live at Springwell House, continued to work for 'Marston's' until 1904.
Springwell Brewery (Kegworth)
Steamin' Billy Brewing Co. Ltd. -
The 'Steamin' Billy Brewing Co. Ltd.' was set up in 1995 by licensee Barry Lount and brewer Bill Allingham, with the first outlet being the 'Vaults' in Wellington Street, Leicester.
By 1998 a house beer ('Steamin' Billy') for the 'Cow & Plough' in Oadby was being brewed at 'Leatherbritches Brewery'. In 2000 brewing moved to the Grainstore in Oakham and between 2008-10 onto the 'Tower Brewery' in Burton, before returning to the Grainstore until 2013 when it moved to the 'Belvoir Brewery' in Old Dalby.
'Steamin' Billy' currently has 8 outlets in Leicester and Leicestershire.
'Steamin' Billy' was named after Barry's dog 'Billy' who always returned 'steaming' after a session rabbit chasing in nearby fields.
'Leatherbritches' itself has an interesting derivation. Established in 1993, 'Leatherbritches' takes its name from the practice of ale-conners, Crown appointed Taxmen, who, needing to check the strength of any beer, poured some onto a barrel top and sat on it.
Leather britches were worn to carry out this check and assessment o strength was dependant upon how sticky they felt after standing up. The practice ended before the First World War.
Stenson's Steam Brewery (Loughborough) -
Originally an ale and porter merchant, Frederick Allen Stenson began the Steam Brewery on King Edward Road in 1912. He married into the Sharpe brewing family of Sileby.
With an estate of six pubs (including the 'Druid's Head' in Loughborough) and an off-licence in Shepshed, the business was offered to 'Offiler's' of Derby in 1924, who declined it.
After a third failed attempt to sell the brewery in 1948 it eventually closed in 1951 and no original buildings now remain..
Tres Bien Brewery (Tur Langton) -
Set up by David Canning in 2014 in Tur Langton, Tres Bien was a one man operation which merged with 'Market Harboroygh Brewery' in 2016, with brewing now being carried out in Market Harborough.
W. & T. Beardsmore & Co. (Hinckley) -
William and Thomas Beardsmore began brewing in Stockwell Head around 1850, but the family had been involved in the Hinckley pub trade since 1827. Although still trading as 'W. & T. Beardsmore' in 1900, the company had been swallowed up by 'Marston's' in 1896 when they still serviced 7 outlets in Hinckley - 'Dog & Gun', 'Marquis of Granby', 'New Inn', 'Plough Inn', 'Princes Feathers', 'Star Inn' and the 'White Bear'.
Note - two other Beardsmores, Arthur at the 'Midland Hotel' and John at the 'Marquis of Granby' were also licensees in Leicester during the 1880's-90's.
Wicked Hathern Brewery (Hathern / East Leake) -
Formed in 1999 by Sean O'Neill, his father-in-law John worsfold and John and Marc Bagley, the brewery was located in the Bagley's stable block in Hathern. The name comes from the story that the village has been known locally as 'Wicked Hathern' since comments made by the Reverend Edward Thomas March Philips, Rector of Hathern between 1808-59, who, continually preaching against cock-fighting and drunkeness in the village, described it as, "a wicked place and a cage for every unclean beast. I wonder what is to become of it?".
The Bagley's left the business in 2007 and the brewery re-located to East Leake.
Yeoman's Brewery (Measham) -
Set up by Donisthorpe born farmer, maltster and brewer Thomas Yeomans (1829-90) in 1853, 'Yeomans Brewery' ran until Thomas' death in 1890, when it was sold to 'Bell & Co.', brewers of Burton, who sold it on to Lord Donington.
The auction notice for the sale of the brewery included 11 licensed houses, being -
Briclayer's Arms (Hugglescote)
Bull's Head (Donisthorpe)
George Inn (Ashby-de-la Zouch)
Navigation Inn (Measham)
Union Hotel (Measham)
Red Lion (Measham)
Dog Inn (Netherseal)
Queen's Head (Heather)
Flying Horse (Shaw Lane)
Flying Horse (Ibstock)
Railway Inn (Melbourne Station)