The Public Houses of Leicestershire
The County pub database is split into four geographical quarters as follows -
Melton Mowbray and the North-east
Market Harborough and the South-east
Hinckley and the South-west
Loughborough and the North-west
Information sheets for each individual public house can be accessed via the ALPHABETICAL INDEX.
An index for each quarter listed alphabetically by TOWN / VILLAGE is also provided.
Leicestershire Coat of Arms
Leicestershire Coat of Arms.
The official description of the Coat of Arms of Leicestershire is -
Arms - Quarterly per fesse indented Argent. In the first quarter a Torteau charged with a cinquefoil Ermine. In the second quarter, a Lion rampant double queued also Argent. In the third quarter an Ostrich Feather Ermine and in the fourth, a Maunch Sable.
Crest - on a wreath of the Colours a Fox courant over Stubble proper.
Supporters - on the dexter side a Bull Sable ducally gorged Or and on the sinister side a Leicestershire Ram proper.
Motto - For'ard, For'ard.
Granted by the College of Heralds in January 1930, the Coat of Arms for the County of Leicestershire shows a shield split into quarters which depict the devices of four families -
the cinquefoil of the Beaumont family, the white lion with two tails of Simon de Montfort, an ermine plume which was the device of John O'Gaunt and a black maunch (sleeve of a medieval ladies dress) of the Hastings family who had strong links with Ashby-de-la-Zouch and Kirby Muxloe.
The bull and sheep supporters represent the farming, butchery and wool industries of Leicestershire, the bull wearing a ducal coronet which signifies the links to the Duchy of Lancaster.
The running fox crest and the motto 'For'ard, For'ard' reflect the County's hunting heritage.
There are also two symbols to the right and left of the motto -
a hazel leaf which commemorates the service of Lord Hazelrigg who was Lord Lieutenant of Leicestershire from 1925-49 and a martlet (heraldic bird) for Sir Robert Martin, Chairman of the County Council from 1924-60.