Derivation of Leicestershire and Rutland Public House Names - Military
Admirals  -
A rare generic use for this Northgate Street pub, but nationally, 36 Admirals are commemorated by pub names.
Red Admiral  -
The sign at Broughton Astley shows a butterfly, but in public house terms a naval reference is more usual.
The rank of Admiral had existed since 1297, but a re-organization during Elizabethan times saw the rank split into Squadrons which were ranked in the order 'Red', 'White' and 'Blue', the Admiral of the Fleet therefore, being the 'Red Admiral'.
Admiral Beattie  -
David Richard Beatty 1871-1936) was an Admiral in the Royal Navy who served under Jellicoe at Jutland in
1916 and subsequently succeeded him as 'Commander in Chief of the Grand Fleet'. His connection to
Leicestershire was that he lived at Brooksby Hall, where his wife, Ethel, ran a convelescent hospital for men
who had been wounded under her husbands command.
Sir David Richard Beatty
(unknown photograph - 1916)
Admiral Charles Napier  -
Charles John Napier (1786-1860) was a Scot who served most of his adult life in the Royal Navy, rising to Admiral, and serving the last years of his life as Liberal MP for Southwark. He was eccentric and continuous disagreements with the Admiralty about naval reform, eventually being forced to retire after the Crimean campaign in the 1850's.
Sir Charles Napier  -
Charles James Napier (1782-1853) was a General in the British Army who rose to be 'Commander in Chief' in India, and is remembered for putting down a number of insurgencies including at Sinhd and Hyderabad.
Napier Tavern  /
Hero of Magdala  -
Another Napier, Robert Cornelius (1810-90) was Lieutenant-General (later Field-Marshal) in the British Army who also served in India, but is best remembered for leading a joint British and Indian Force against King Theodore II of Abyssinia (now Ethiopia) in 1868.
British Consul, Captain Charles Cameron and a group of missionaries who, as part of an on-going dispute with the British Government, were being held hostage at the mountain fortress of Magdala in central Abyssinia.
A force of around 13,000 troops, 8,000 labourers, thousands of horses, hundreds of camels and a number of elephants were dispatched from Bombay, and after an initial skirmish, all the hostages were released unharmed, but the British still attacked. The casualty figures tell the story - the British / Indian force suffered 2 fatalities with around 25 wounded, whereas the Abyssinians suffered at least 500 deaths with thousands of wounded. King Theodore committed suicide using a pistol which had been an earlier present from Queen Victoria.
Napier was made 'Grand Commander of the Order of the Bath', a Freeman of the City of London and raised to the Peerage as 'Baron Napier of Magdala'.
Admiral Sir Charles John Napier
(portrait by John Simpson 1841)
Sir Charles James Napier
William Edward Kilburn)
Robert Napier, Hero of Magdala
(photograph by John Murdoch)
Admiral Duncan  -
Adam Duncan, 1st Viscount Duncan (1731-1804) was an Admiral in the British Navy who led a
significant victory over the Dutch at the Battle of Camperdown in 1797.
Admiral Adam Duncan
(portrait by John Hoppner 1798)
Admiral Nelson  / Admiral Nelson Inn  / Lord Nelson  / Nelson (Nelson's Arms)  -
Horatio Nelson (1758-1805) became a British national hero for his inspirational leadership in various conflicts
in a naval career that started at the age of 12.
He died at the moment of his greatest victory. Towards the end of the decisive victory against the French and
Spanish at Cape Trafalgar during the Napoleonic Wars, he was hit by a musket ball fired from the rigging of
the French ship 'Redoubtable' The musket ball had passed through his lung and lodged in his spine, and it
would be over three hours before he died. His funeral procession from the Admiralty to St. Paul's Cathedral
had a military escort of over 10,000 and after a four hour service his coffin was laid in a sarcophagus
originally carved for Cardinal Wolsey.
In various forms, 'Nelson' became the most popular individual to have his name applied to public houses.
Victory  -
The 'Bedford Hotel' on Aylestone Road was re-named the 'Victory' in the 1970's. It was initially signed by
HMS Victory, Nelson's flagship at Trafalgar, but changed in the early 1990's to reflect links to the 'Leicester
Tigers', whose ground was on the opposite side of the road.
(portrait by Lemuel Francis Abbott)
Admiral Rodney  -
The Admiral Rodney in question was George Brydges Rodney, 1st Baron Rodney, KB (1719-92), a British
naval officer celebrated for his exploits in the 'American War of Independence' and particularly his victory over
the French at the Battle of Saintes in 1782.
(portrait by Thomas Gainsborough 1783)
Airman's Rest  -
Built in the 1930's in anticipation of the then planned Leicester Airport, the 'Airman's Rest' saw a number of refurbishments before suffering a damaging fire in 1988 and being demolished in 1999-2000).
Albion  -
'Albion' derives from the Latin 'Albus', meaning 'white, and, because of the white chalk cliffs on the South coast,, came to be used as an early name for England.
The 'Albion' in Loughborough (which opened around the same time) is thought to have been named after HMS Albion, a 74 gun ship of the line which was launched in 1763 from Deptford.. She saw action in the 'American War of Independence' before being used as a floating battery in the Thames estuary.
Artilleryman  -
A soldier who serves in an artillery unit. Pub signs incorporating 'artillery' usually relate to the 'Honourable Artillery Company' which was incorporated by Royal Charter in 1537 under King Henry VIII.
Beaumont Arms  -
Through his marriage into the Comyn family, Henry, Lord Beaumont inherited Whitwick Castle in the early 14th century. The family continued as Lords of the Manor until 1461 when William, 2nd Viscount Beaumont (1438-1507) was taken prisoner at the Battle of Towton during the War of the Roses and his lands, by Act of Parliament, were forfeited and passed into the hands of Richard Hastings. However, 23 years later, the land and lordships were restored to the Beaumonts by King Henry VII.
Sir George Howland Beaumont, 7th Baronet and MP (1753-1827) moved to Coleorton in 1804 and rebuilt Coleorton Hall. A patron of the arts, Sir George was instrumental in the establishment of the National Gallery.
Blues  -
The name 'Blues' is a reference to the Royal Horse Guards, who, together with the Royal Dragoons (Royals) form one of the two cavalry regiments of the British Army (note - the other being the Coldstream Guards).
Bosworth  -
The Battle of Bosworth Field took place on 22nd August 1485 and marked a turning point in British history. The House of York under King Richard III was defeated by a much smaller force from the House of Lancaster led by Henry Tudor,, Earl of Richmond, who, on the death of Richard at the battle, became King Henry VII, the first monarch of the Tudor dynasty.
Bosworth was the penultimate battle of the War of the Roses.
The exact site o the battle has always been disputed, but research over recent years places it to the southwest of Market Bosworth in the ancient parish of Dadlington.
British Lion  -
'British Lion' was first used for public house names as a patriotic gesture during the Napoleonic Wars, and came to symbolize the Country's fighting spirit.
Cantineer  -
'Cantineer' is thought to be a derivation of 'cantineres', who were women who served as auxillaries to the (mainly) French Army selling food and drink to supplement army rations. Regulations required that these women by married to a soldier in the Regiment she served. This practice had died out by the start of the First World War.
Cavalier  -
'Cavalier' was used as a derogatory term by the Parliamentarians to describe the Royalist supporters of King Charles I during the English Civil War, and the Lutterworth pub, the 'Ram', was re-named th ine 'Cavalier' in the 1970's in recognition that Royalist soldiers wounded at the Battle of Naseby in 1645 took shelter in Lutterworth. However, the sign shows a copy of the 'Laughing Cavalier', a portrait by Dutch artist Frans Hals (1582-1666) which was, in fact,painted before the term was applied in the Civil War and does not actually portray a cavalier, only being named the 'Laughing Cavalier' in the 1870's.
Chelsea Pensioner(s)  -
The Royal Hospital Chelsea is a retirement and nursing home for former members of the British Army.
Cheney Arms  -
The name 'Cheney' derives from the Old French name 'de Quesnay', and arrives in England with
Ralph de Caineto who fought under William the Conquerer at the Battle of Hastings in 1066,
'de Caineto' being the Latinized version of 'de Quesnay'.
Edward Charles Hawkins Cheney (1778-1848) was a Colonel in the Scots Greys who, at Waterloo,
had four horses killed under him and one other wounded. His connection to Gaddesby was his
marriage to Eliza Eyre, of Gaddesby, in 1811.
Colonel Edward Charles Hawkins Cheney
(commemorative sculpture in St. Luke's, Gaddesby)
Crispin's Arms  -
See under Religious.
Curzon Arms  -
The name 'Curzon' became the Anglicised version from the French when inhabitants from the Town of Notre-Dame-de-Courson in Normandy accompanied William in his conquest of England in 1066. Kedleston Hall, in Derbyshire, became the family seat in 1297.
Drum & Monkey  -
There are two possible derivations for the name 'Drum & Monkey'.
Originally 'powder monkeys' were (usually) young boys or small men who ferried gunpowder from the magazine to the guns on warships in battle from the 17th century. The term, and the word 'drum' for their powder receptacle, spread to cover other trades involving explosives such as quarrying and blasting in the railway age.
The other possible derivation refers to travelling showmen who toured the country with a trained monkey who performed tricks on a drum.
Duke of Newcastle  -
The title 'Duke of Newcastle' was first created in the Peerage of England in 1665 for William Cavendish (1592-1676), a staunch Royalist who, after defeat at Marston Moor (1644) during the English Civil War, went into self-imposed exile before returning to England on the restoration of the Monarchy in 1660.
Duke of Wellington  -
With Nelson, Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington is the British historical military figure most
celebrated by public house names.
Born in 1769, he became a national hero after the defeat of Napoleon at Waterloo in 1815.
He was also Prime Minister (1828-30) and Foreign Secretary (1834-35). He died in 1852.
Wellington  / Marquis Wellington  / Wellington Castle  / Waterloo Tavern  /
Duke's Head  /
Boot  / Old Boot Hotel  / Old Boot Inn  / Boot Inn  -
Historically, public houses with the name 'Boot' invariably had a sign showing the boot worn by
officers of the Duke of Wellington's army - a boot which covered the knee at the front and was cut
away behind. However, in Leicestershire, a number of pubs named 'Boot' undoubtably reflected a
local link to the boot and shoe industry.
Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington
(Daguerreotype by Antoine Claudet 1844)
Duke of York  -
The title of 'Duke of York' was first created in the Peerage o England for Edmund of Lanbley (1341-1402), son of King Edward III.
The origins of the nursery rhyme 'The Grand Old Duke of York' are still debated, but the most likely candidate is Frederick Augustus, Duke of York and Albany (1763-1827), second son of King George III, who led the British Army in the Flanders campaign of 1793. After defeat at the Battle of Tourcoing in 1794, Frederick Augustus retreated and returned to England via Bremen, so leading to the nursery rhyme whose lyrics became synonymous with any utile action.
Earl Howe's Arms  -
Richard Howe (1726-99) was the4th Viscount Howe and the 1st Earl Howe who served as
'First Lord of the Admiralty' from 1783.
He was an Admiral in the British fleet during the American War of Independence, notably at the
siege of Gibraltar in 1782, and was the naval commander on the Glorious 1st of June (1794) -
the first and largest naval action between Britain and France during the French Revolutionary
(portrait by Henry Singleton)
Earl of Cardigan  / Cardigan Arms  -
Lieutenant-General James Thomas Brudenell (1797-1868) was the 7th Earl of Cardigan who had led the
'Charge of the Light Brigade' at the Battle of Balaclava in 1854.
Earl of Cardigan
(photograph - unknown)
Emperor Napoleon  -
Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821) was a French miltary and political leader who was Emperor of France
between 1804-14 and again in 1815, before being defeated by the Duke of Wellington at the Battle of
(portrait by Jacques-Louis David 1812)
Flintlock  -
The flintlock was a development of previous firearm mechanisms first introduced by Marin le Bourgeoys, gunsmith to King Louis XIII in 1610 and only fell out of favour in the early 19th century with the introduction of a percussion cap system.
Its use has had a lasting effect in that it spawned the terms 'lock, stock and barrel', 'going off half-cock' and 'flash in the pan' still in use today.
Fortune of War  -
Thought to have originated with merchant sailing ships which were armed in times of conflict with any spoils being termed 'fortunes of war'.
General Elliott  -
George Augustus Eliott, 1st Baron Heathfield KB (1717-90) served in the British Army and is best remembered for his successful command of the Gibraltar garrison against the French and Spanish during the siege of 1779-83.
In the four years of the siege more British troops died from disease than were lost in battle.
General Moore  -
Lieutenant-General Sir John Moore (1761-1809) was a British Army officer known for his reforms and as a
humane leader. He is also known for the manner of his death, when he was struck in the chest and
shoulder by a cannonball at the Battle of Corunna in the Peninsula War. He survived long enough to be told
of his troops victory, and was buried in the Town walls.
He is commemorated by statues in his native Glasgow, in Shorcliffe, Kent and with a monument in
St. Paul's Cathedral.
Sir John Moore
General Wolf  -
Major General James P. Wolfe (1727-59) was a British Army officer best known for his part in defeating the French in Quebec, Canada. Wolfe was shot three times before he died as he led his troops to victory over the French on the Plains of Abraham along the St. Lawrence River on 13th September 1759.
Grenadier  -
Today the Grenadier Guards is the most senior Regiment of Infantry in the British Army, but can trace its lineage back to 1656 when the 'Regiment of Guards' was raised by Lord Wentworth in Bruges. It was formed as a part of King Charles II's bodyguard during the interregnum.
The use of specialized soldiers who could throw a grenade was introduced by French Lieutenant-Colonel Jean Martinet in the Regiment du Roi in 1667, and it was ten years later that the British Army ordered that two soldiers from each Guards Regiment be trained as grenadiers.
Havelock  / Havelock Arms  / General Havelock  -
Sir Henry Havelock (1795-1857) was a General in the British Army noted for the re-capture of Cawnpore
during the Indian Mutiny of 1857.
He died, from dysentery, just a few days after the siege was lifted.
He is commemorated by a statue (by William Behnes) on a plinth in Trafalgar Square, London.
A 'Havelock' became the name for the piece of cloth which hung from the back of a hat in order to protect
the neck from sunburn, which was introduced during the Indian Mutiny campaign.
Sir Henry Havelock
(portrait by George Frederick Clarke)
Heroes of Waterloo  -
Many of the returning troops from the victory over Napoleon at Waterloo in 1815 disembarked at Portsmouth. In recognition of the victory, a pub in the area frequented by many of these troops was called the 'Heroes of Waterloo'. This led to the area being re-named 'Waterlooville' where the 'Heroes' public house still does business.
Public houses named the 'Heroes of Waterloo' in other parts of the country (including in Nottingham and Leicester) reflected the fact that well known local figures had died at Waterloo.
Invincible  -
Although the sign for this public house on Sturdee Road showed the aircraft carrier 'HMS Invincible' which was the British flagship during the Falklands War, it was originally named after the battle cruiser 'HMS Invincible' which was Admiral Sturdee's ship in 1914 (coincidentally also at a battle in the Falklands). It was sunk two years later at the Battle of Jutland - only 6 of the 1026 officers and men survived.
Kaffir Inn  -
The 'Kaffir Inn' at Whetstone was opened shortly after the British victory over the Zulu's in South Africa in 1879. 'Kaffir' being the European word for Zulu's and other Bantu speaking peoples. It came to be used as a derogatory term and its use was eventually banned in South Africa.
'Kaffir' is also a species of lime tree (Citrus hystrix), native to Asia, and, in 2015, the 'Kaffir Inn' at Whetstone was re-named the 'Lime Tree'.
Leicester Volunteer  / Rifle Volunteer  / Volunteer  -
'Volunteer' became a popular public house name during the 18th century when numerous volunteer units were assembled in response to the invasion threat from Napoleon.
Many were disbanded after Waterloo in 1815, but, with increasing poor relations with France, re-emerged as an organised volunteer force in 1859.
Organised locally by Lord Lieutenants of Counties, these were the forerunners of the Territorial Army in 1908.
Leicestershire Yeoman  -
The word 'yeoman' may be a derivative of 'young man', but came to be associated with a country man or villager who became a trusted servant who supervised the cultivation of land. Many of these farmers volunteered for military service and the name 'yeoman' stuck.
Signs for various public houses across the country including the word 'yeoman' reflect both farming and military associations.
Lifeguardsman  -
The 'Life Guards' is one of the two most senior Regiments in the British Army, the other being the 'Blues and Royals'. Together they make up the 'Household Cavalry'. The Life Guards history stretches back to the Restoration when King Charles II brought four troops of Horse Guards and two troops of Grenadier Guards together.
Lord Lake  -
Gerard Lake, 1st Viscount Lake (1744-1808) was a General in the British Army commanding forces during
the Irish Rebellion of 1798 and later as Commander in Chief in India.
Lord Raglan  -
Fitzroy James Henry Somerset - later Lord Raglan (1788-1855), was a long serving army officer who served
under the Duke of Wellington at Waterloo, sustaining wounds which led to the amputation of his right arm.
Continuing in office, Raglan learned to write left handed, and served as Military Secretary to the Horse
Guards for over 25 years, as well as two spells as MP for Truro.
At the outbreak of the Crimean War in 1853, Raglan, aged 65, was chosen to lead the British troops.
His part in the disaster which constituted the 'Charge of the Light Brigade' in October 1854, is well
documented, but he always blamed the Earl of Lucan.
Staying in the Crimea over the following winter, Raglan caught dysentery, eventually dying on 29th June 1855.
(photograph by Roger Fenton)
Lord Rancliffe  -
The Rancliffe Baronetcy is a title which evolved from the Parkyns Baronetcy of Bunney Park in Nottinghamshire.
Thomas Boothby Parkyns, son and heir of the 3rd Baron Parkyns, became Member of Parliament for the Borough of Leicester in 1790, and became the 1st Baron Rancliffe when he was raised to the Peerage of Ireland in 1795 after raising, and leading, the 'Royal Leicester Fencible Infantry' against Irish rebels a year earlier.
Lord Roberts  -
It is not clear whether there is any link between Lord Roberts and Lyddington or Rutland, but Field-Marshal
Frederisk Sleigh Roberts, 1st Earl Roberts (1832-1914) was a highly decorated British soldier who served in
the Indian Mutiny, Abyssinia, the 2nd Anglo-Afghan War and the 2nd Boer War, becoming the last
'Commander in Chief' of the forces before the post was abolished in 1904.
He died in France (of pneumonia whilst visiting troops during the First World War) and was buried in
St' Paul's Cathedral after receiving a state funeral.
Frederick Sleigh Roberts
(photograph by Bassano 1902)
Magazine Inn  -
This public house was named in recognition of the Magazine Gateway at the end of Newarke
Street which was built around 1410 by the 3rd Earl of Leicester. It was an addition to Leicester
Castle and acquired its present name when it was used to store munitions during the Civil War.
Today it is in use as a museum.
(photograph by Charles James Billson 1920)
Man at Arms  -
In medieval times 'man at arms' described any person within the army, but specifically fully armoured cavalrymen.
Marlborough's Head  / Marlborough Club  -
The Marlborough in question was John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough (1650-1722), soldier and statesman, who, under King James II, crushed the rebellion of the Duke of Monmouth in 1685. His military career saw much success, especially during the War of the Spanish Succession, including at the Battle of Blenheim in 1704, for which, a grateful nation rewarded him by building Blenheim Palace in Woodstock, Oxfordshire.
Winston Churchill was born at the palace in 1874, and Blenheim remains the country home of the Dukes of Marlborough to this day.
Marquis of Anglesey  -
The Marquess of Anglesey is a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom created in 1815 for Henry William
He was the English General who led the Charge of the Heavy Cavalry at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815.
Anecdotedly, when struck in the right leg by cannon shot, he turned to the Duke of Wellington who was close
by, and said, "by God sir, i've lost my leg", to which Wellington replied, "by God sir, so you have".
He kept the amputated leg and had it buried with him some 39 years later.
Henry William Paget, Marquess of Anglesey
(portrait by Thomas Lawrence 1818)
Marquis of Granby  / Old Marquis of Granby  / Granby Arms  / Granby's Head  /
Granby Hotel  / Manners Arms  -
John Manners (1721-70) was a soldier and MP who inherited his father's subsiduary title of the 'Marquess of
Whilst in the forces he became known for the good treatment of men under his command, and the many public
houses in England named after him reflect the fact that he helped to set up many of his own men as tavern
and innkeepers when they left the army.
Blue Ball  -
A sphere or 'ball' was a simple sign used in earlier times by a number of different trades to advertise their
wares and used by associated inns and taverns.
Earl of Rutland was a title first created in the Peerage of England for Edward Plantagenet (1373-1415), but
fell into disuse after his death at the Battle of Agincourt. The 2nd creation was for Thomas Manners
(1488-1543) in 1525, and the title continued in the Manners family until 1703 when the 9th Earl,
John Manners (1638-1711) became the 1st Duke of Rutland. He served as Whig Member of Parliament
for Leicestershire from 1661 to 1679 and became Lord Lieutenant of Leicestershire in 1677.
The influence of the Manners family on the names of public houses in Rutland and East Leicestershire
was highlighted, where, in order to show their allegiance to the Whigs, many of the inns which the family
bought or controlled, added the word 'Blue' as a prefix.
Naseby  -
Fought on 14th June 1645, the Battle of Naseby was the decisive battle in the English Civil War between the Royalists under King Charles I and the Parliamentarians under Oliver Cromwell. Cromwell's 'New Model Army' defeated the Royalists, and, in the next few days went on to take Leicester.
Old Trooper  -
'Trooper' was a term first used in the 17th century to describe a cavalry soldier.
Ordnance Arms  -
The weaponry, ammunition and equipment or the branch of an army which deals with same.
Portobella  -
Although spelt slightly differently, this inn name is thought to relate to the Battle of Porto Bello in 1739 where Admiral Edward Vernon (1684-1757)
captured the Spanish colonial port (in modern Panama). Because of his habit of wearing a Grogram coat, Vernon was known as 'Old Grog', and it would be the word 'grog' which would become synonymous with drink. In 1740, he issued new orders that citrus juice should be added to the daily rum ration. This improved the health of sailors aboard his ships and was soon introduced throughout the Navy - (although not known why at the time, this habit alone addressed the vitamin C deficiency which caused scurvy common amongst sailors of the time). Vernon's cocktail of rum and lemon or lime juice became known as 'grog'.
The tradition of a daily tot of rum continued until 1970.
Prince Blucher  -
'Prince Blucher' was Prussian Field-Marshal Gebhard Leberecht von Blucher, Prince of Wahlstadt (1742-1819), who defeated Napoleon at Laon in 1814 and supported Wellington at Waterloo in 1815 aged 73, for which he received the Freedom of the City of London.
Recruiting Sargeant  -
A 'Recruiting Sargeant' was an officer who toured the country, setting up a desk in taverns and inns, with the intention of recruiting local men into the army. The phrase "accepting the King's shilling", originates from the time when some recruiting officers would surreptitiously drop a shilling into a full pint of beer. If the drinker removed the shilling after having drank the beer, he was deemed to have "accepted the King's shilling", and was therefore committed to service. To alleviate this practice, galss bottoms were introduced into pewter drinking pots.
Rifle Butts  -
'Butts' were the safety backstop to the rear of targets and usually mounds of sand or earth.
Royal Anglian  -
The 'Royal Anglian Regiment' was formed in 1964 when the three Regiments of the 'East Anglian Brigade' joined the 'Royal Leicestershire Regiment'. The origins of the 'Royal Leicestershire Regiment' began in 1688 when Colonel Solomon Richards (1619-91) raised a regiment of foot which pledged allegiance to King James II.
Royal Artillery  -
The 'Royal Regiment of Artillery' is made up of the 'Royal Artillery' and the 'Royal Horse Artillery', and includes units of both of the Regular and Territorial Army, and can trace its roots back to the Battle of Crecy (1346) where cannon were used for the first time.
Royal Lancer  -
The first listing for the 'Royal Lancer' in Asylum Street is in 1861, the same year that the 16th (Queen's) Lancers and the 5th (Royal Irish) Lancers Regiments were re-named. The two Regiments were amalgamated in 1922 to form the 16th/5th Lancers, later re-named the '16th/5th The Queen's Royal Lancers', before, in 1993 being amalgamated with the 17th/21st Lancers to form the 'Queen's Royal Lancers'.
Royal Leicesters  -
The 'Royal Leicestershire Regiment' was an infantry Regiment formed in 1688 and merged into the 'Royal Anglian Regiment' in 1964.
Tiger  / Leicester Tiger  -
In the early 19th century the term 'Tiger' referred to a young groom dressed in a livery of striped black and yellow.
The use of 'Tiger' as a public house name may also originate from the heraldic reference to the Arms of Sir Francis Walsingham which included a tiger's head. However, in Leicester, and inspite of the success of the Leicester Tigers Rugby Club, the use of 'Tiger' for a public house name undoubtably refers to the 'Royal Leicestershire Regiment', who, in 1825, in recognition of their service in India between 1804-23, were awarded the insignia of the Royal Tiger superimposed with the word 'HINDOOSTAN' - thus the nickname of the 'Tigers'.
Sailors Return  / Soldiers Return  -
Usually signed to show a sailor or soldier returning home to his wife after a war or on leave.
Saracen's Head  -
To the Greeks and Romans, a 'Saracen' was a nomad of the Arabian desert, but evolved, during the Crusades to cover a number of other races, and many families whose members had taken part in the Crusades began to include a Saracen's Head in their coat of arms.
Turk's Head  -
In public house name terms, the 'Turk's Head' is usually a variant of the 'Saracen's Head', with its origins in the Crusades, but has also been applied to a kind of thistle and an ornamental knot.
Sir Colin Campbell  -
Field-Marshal Colin Campbell, 1st Baron Clyde (1792-1863) was a British Army officer who led the
'Highland Brigade' in the Crimea and was in command of what became known as 'The Thin Red Line'
at the Battle of Balaclava in 1854.
John Manners, Marquis of Granby
Sir Joshua Reynolds 1760's)
Sir Colin Campbell
(photograph by Roger Fenton)
Victoria Cross  -
The Victoria Cross is Britain's highest award for gallantry. It was introduced in 1856 by Queen Victoria to honour acts of valour during the Crimean War, and was intended to be made from bronze enemy cannon captured during that war.
Originally awarded to officers and non-commissioned ranks of the Army and Royal Navy, its award has subsequently been extended to cover all the armed forces, as well as civilians under military command.