Derivation of Leicestershire and Rutland Public House Names - Titles and Personal Names
Ashby's Arms  -
The Ashby family acquired an estate in Quenby in the 13th century, and Quenby Hall was built by George Ashby (1598-1663) between 1618 and 1636, on land just south of Hungarton. The house remained in the Ashby family until 1904.
George Ashby was High Sherriff of Leicestershire in 1627.
Baron of Hinckley  -
The Baronetcy of Hinckley was an office created by William the Conquerer after the invasion in 1066, with the first 'Baron' being Hugh de Grandmesnil (1032-94), who had fought alongside William at Hastings, and, for his services, was granted over 100 Manors around England including over 60 in Leicestershire.
Beaumont Club  / Beaumont Leys Inn  -
Robert de Beaumont (1040/50-1118) was a Norman nobleman who led the infantry at Hastings under William the Conquerer, and was granted more than 90 English Manors for his service.
Having been part of the Royal hunting party which saw the accidental death of King William II in the New Forest in 1100, he pledged allegiance to William's brother, King Henry I, who created him 1st Earl of Leicester in 1107.
Beaumont Arms  / George Inn  -
The 'Beaumont Arms' at Thringstone and Whitwick and the 'George Inn' at Coleorton relate to Sir George Howland Beaumont, 7th Baronet and MP (1753-1827) who moved to Coleorton in 1804 and re-built Coleorton Hall. A patron of the arts, Sir George entertained many artists and poets at Coleorton Hall including William Wordsworth in 1805/06, and was instrumental in the establishment of the National Gallery.
Cinque Foil  -
The Cinquefoil (five leafed) was the emblem of the Beaumont family being incorporated into the City of Leicester Coat of Arms (together with the Wyvern crest) in 1619.
Belper Arms  -
Built to house the masons during the construction of Swepstone Church, the 'Shepherd & Shepherdess Inn' at Newton Burgoland is reputably the oldest public house in Leicestershire, dating back to 1290. Lord Belper bought the village in the 17th century and the pub name was changed to the 'Belper Arms' in the 1880's.
Berkeley Arms  -
The Berkeley amily were landowners in Wymondham and Edmondthorpe for 11 generations between the 14th and 17th centuries.
Berner's Arms  / Wilson's Arms  -
Baron Berners is a title first created in the Peerage of England in 1455 for Sir John Bourchier, but fell into abeyance on the death of the 7th Baron, Thomas Knyvett, in 1693. Briefly restored in 1711, it again fell into abeyance until 1832, when Robert Wilson (a descendant of the Knyvett family) became the 9th Baron.
As Lords of the Manor in Allexton, the Wilson family held the Berners Baronetcy for a number of generations.
Bewicke Arms  -
Hallaton Hall was built for the Reverend Benjamin Bewicke in 1713. The hall remained in the Bewicke family estate until 1848 and under lease until 1897.
Black-a-Moor Lady  / Black-a-Moor's Head  / Black Moor's Head  -
The word Black-a-Moor appeared in the 16th century and referred to a dark skinned person generally of North African descent.
Blue Boar  / Old Blue Boar  -
A 'blue boar' is an heraldic symbol of the Earls of Oxford. The 13th Earl, John de Vere, was the Lancastrian commander under Henry Tudor at the Battle of Bosworth (1485) during the War of the Roses. With the defeat and death of King Richard III at the battle, many pub signs carrying the Yorkist emblem of a white boar were re-painted or replaced by a blue boar.
Bradgate Arms  -
These two 'Bradgate Arms' at Newtown Linford and Cropston acknowledge their proximity to Bradgate Park, an ancient hunting park which pulls together a number of Leicestershire landowners covered by other pub names in this database. Hugh de Grandmesnil, the Beaumont family, the de Quincys, the de Ferrers of Groby and finally (for over 500 years) the Greys, until, in 1928, it was given to the people of Leicestershire, "to be preserved in its natural state for their quiet enjoyment".
Captain Noel Newton  -
Captain Noel Newton (1884-?) served in the Leicestershire Yeomanry, was High Sherriff of Rutland in the 1930's and lived at 55 High Street, Oakham, before selling the property (around 1950) to the Royal British Legion who turned the premises into their Club.
After refurbishment, by Weatherspoons, the premises re-opened as the 'Captain Noel Newton'.
Carington Arms [Ashby Folville] -
The name 'Folville' was appended to the village around the year 1200 when a family from Foleville in France became Lords of the Manor.
The 'Smith-Caringtons' were descendents of the 'Folvilles' and four of them, Richard in 1900, Herbert Hanbury in 1910, Francis Herbert in 1930 and Wing Commander J. H. have all served as High Sherriffs of Leicestershire.
A notable aside shows a murkier side to the Folville family - in 1326 Eustace Folville [son of Sir John who represented Leicestershire at 6 parliaments], together with his brothers Roger and Walter and local landowners Roger la Zouche and Robert Halewell, ambushed and murdered Sir Roger Bellere near Rearsby. The gang went on the run, and for the next four years carried out numerous violent crimes including four more murders. However, and despite the extent of his crimes, Eustace was fully pardoned after serving in the armies of King Edward III against the Scots.
Cave's Arms  -
The 'Cave's Arms' at Swinford is named after the Cave family of Stanford Hall, which was built in the 1690's for Sir Roger Cave.
The 'Cave's Arms' at Donisthorpe is named after Sir John Cave-Browne-Cave, who built a national school in 1840.
The Cave Baronetcy is a title in the Baronetage of England created in 1641 for Thomas Cave who fought on the Royalist side during the English Civil War.
Chamberlayne Arms  -
Tankerville Chamberlayne (1843-1924) who served as an MP for Southampton (as both a Conservative
and an Independent), also became Lord of the Manor in East Norton.
photograph - Southampton City Council)
Chaplins / Busters  -
Presumably named in commemoration of silent screen stars Charlie Chaplin and
Charlie Chaplin &
Churchill (Winston's / Spencer's [Silver St] / Churchill [Coalville] -
Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965), was born into an aristocratic family, was
educated at Harrow and trained at Sandhurst before serving in India and the Sudan.
A long and full life followed - MP, war correspondence, prisoner, escapee, First Lord of the
Admiralty (twice), Chancellor of the Exchequer, Prime Minister (twice), leader of the opposition,
talented artist, inspirational speaker, winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature and the first
person to be made an honorary citizen of the United States.
He died, nine days after suffering a stroke, in January 1965 and was awarded a state funeral.
(photograph by Cecil Beaton 1940)
Clarence Hotel  / Clarence Inn  -
The 'Duke of Clarence' was a title in the Peerage of England first created in 1362 for Lionel of Antwerp (1338-68), third son of King Edward III. For various reasons a number of re-creations followed, until, in 1789, Prince William (1765-1837), third son of King George III, was created as Duke of Clarence and St. Andrews. The title merged into the crown when he acceded as King William IV in 1830.
Clarendon Hotel  / Clarendon Club  -
The 'Earl of Clarendon' is a title in the Peerage of England first created in 1661 for Edward Hyde, 1st Baron Hyde (1609-74), who served as both Chancellor of the Exchequer and Lord Chancellor.
Having become extinct in 1753, the title was re-created in 1776 for Thomas Villiers (1709-86), MP (Whig) for Tamworth 1747-56 and served as British Envoy in a number of European cities.
Clowes Arms  -
Named after Samuel William Clowes (1821-98), born in Derbyshire, who served as Conservative MP for North Leicestershire between
1868-80. He was also JP for Leicestershire and, in 1888, High Sherriff of Derbyshire.
The name 'Clowes' originally derives from the Latin 'clausum' (to close shut), and, in Early Medieval England, came to mean someone living
in an enclosed space. A possible alternative derives from the Middle English 'clos(e)' meaning a secretive or reserved person.
Cradock Arms  -
Parts of the timber framed building housing the 'Cradock Arms' on Knighton Road are thought to date from the early 17th century.
The Cradock family were well established Leicester merchants, and, in 1720, Edmund Cradock, a woolen-draper, bought land in Knighton.
Mary Cradock married Joseph Bunney and a son, Edmund, was born in 1749. Upon his marriage to Anne Hurlock in 1777, Edmund changed his surname to Cradock-Hartopp, becoming High Sherriff of Leicestershire in 1781. He was also Member of Parliament for Leicestershire between 1798 and 1806. He died in 1833. Cradock-Hartopp served as joint MP for Leicestershire with Lt. Colonel George Anthony Legh Keck, (Note - a notable public house link is that between the 'Keck's Arms' in Archdeacon Lane and the 'Keck's Arms' in Evington).
Hartopp Arms [Gumley] -
Gumley Hall was built for Joseph Cradock (1742-1826) in 1764.
Daniel Lambert  -
The Eldest of four children, Daniel Lambert was born in Blue Boar Lane, Leicester in 1770. His father
(John) was the keeper of the County Bridewell (Gaol) in Highcross Street.
After an apprenticeship as a diesinker in Birmingham's jewellery quarter, Daniel returned to Leicester
where he took over from his father as keeper of the Bridewell. Although described as an athletic and
healthy young man, Daniel's increase in weight seems to have coincided with his move to the Gaol, and,
by 1793, he had reached 32 stone. By 1806 he weighed over 50 stone and spent his time 'on tour',
exhibiting himself at an admission fee of 1 shilling. He died whilst on tour in Stamford, in 1809.
The ground floor wall of the Waggon & Horses Inn where he stayed, had to be demolished in order to
remove the body.
(portrait by Benjamin Marshall 1806)
De Lisle Arms  -
Queen Elizabeth I sold Shepshed to the Earl of Rutland in 1561, who sold it on (in 1632) together with the Garendon Estate to George Villiers, Earl of Buckingham. He held these estates until 1682 when they were sold to London lawyer Sir Ambrose Phillips, the ancestor of the De Lisle family. The family country house, Garendon Hall, was demolished in 1964.
De Montfort Hotel  -
Born in Normandy, Simon De Montfort (1208-65) arrived in England in 1229, where, nine years later, he
married Eleanor of England, daughter of King John and sister of King Henry III. His father, also Simon,
was grandson of Robert De Beaumont, 3rd Earl of Leicester, and Simon the younger inherited the title in
1239. In 1263-64 having led a Baron's rebellion against King Henry III, De Montfort became the de facto
ruler of England. His period in power and reforms are now regarded as the beginnings of modern
parliamentary democracy. He was killed at the Battle of Evesham in 1265 and his remains buried at
Evesham Abbey. Both the Abbey and the grave were destroyed during the Dissolution.
Although Simon De Montfort spent very little time in Leicester, (his only real connection being the title),
his name is, still to this day, strongly linked to the City.
Simon De Montfort
(Leicester Clock Tower statue)
Denbigh Arms Hotel  -
Earl of Denbigh is a title in the Peerage of England created in 1622 for William Feilding. The 2nd Earl, Basil, was granted the Charter of Lutterworth by King Charles I in 1625.
Dixie Arms  / Dixie Arms Hotel  / Old Dixie Arms  -
In 1567 Sir Wolstan Dixie (1524-94), one time Lord Mayor of London, bought Bosworth Manor from the
heirs of Catholic nobleman Edward Hastings, who had been awarded the estate when it was confiscated
after the be-heading of Lady Jane Grey in 1554. He never lived there, but his grand nephew (also Sir
Wolstan Dixie), did, and went on to establish the 'Free Dixie Grammar School' in Market Bosworth.
The then unknown Samuel Johnson took up a teaching post at the school in 1741.
Sir Wolstan Dixie
(portrait by unknown artist 1593)
Dr. Kenealey's Arms  -
Dr. Edward Vaughan Hyde Kenealy QC (1819-1880) was an Irish barrister disbarred after his conduct at
the imfamous Tichborne claimant case during the 1860's and 70's. After the trial, Kenealy established the
'Magna Charta Association' which continued to champion the claimants cause.
Kenealy was elected MP for Stoke in 1875, standing as a radical independent, but died shortly after losing
his seat in 1880.
Dr. Kenealy QC
(photograph from Getty Images)
Duchess of Kent  -
The Duchess recognized by the 'Duchess of Kent' in Royal East Street was Princess Marie Luise Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfield, Princess of Leiningen and Duchess of Kent & Strathearn (1786-1861) who was the mother of Queen Victoria.
Duke's Head  -
'Duke', originally from the Latin 'dux' meaning leader, was a term used in Republican Rome for a military leader without an official rank.
By the middle ages the term had come to be a title in the Germanic monarchies for a ruler in the provinces.
Duke of Argyle  / Argyle Arms  / Marquis of Lorne  -
The 'Duke of Argyle' and the 'Marquis of Lorne' are separate public houses which first appear on Argyle
Street in 1878, the year that John George Edward Douglas Sutherland Campbell (1845-1914) was
made Governor General of Canada. The link is that the Duke of Argyle is a title created in the Peerage
of Scotland in 1701 with the courtesy title for the eldest son and heir of the Duke, as 'Marquis of Kintyre
John George Edward Henry Douglas Sutherland Campbell was firstly Marquis of Lorne and later
became Duke of Argyle when his father died in 1900. He was MP for Argyllshire who married Princess
Louise, the fourth daughter of Queen Victoria and served as Governor General of Canada for five years.
John George Edward Henry Douglas Sutherland Campbell, Duke of Argyle and Marquis of Lorne
(photograph by W&D. Downey 1870)
Duke of Bedford  / Bedford Arms  / Bedford Hotel  / Russell Tavern  -
The title of 'Duke of Bedford' was first created at a Parliament held in Leicester in May 1414, for John (1389-1435), third son of King Henry IV, but it is most associated with the Russell family, and especially John Russell who became 1st Earl of Bedford under King Henry VIII.
Duke of Cambridge  -
The Dukedom of Cambridge was created in the Peerage of England in 1664 for Charles Stuart, eldest son of James, Duke of York (later King James II). However, Charles and three of his younger brothers who were also awarded the Dukedom, all died in infancy, and it was not unyil the third creation of the Dukedom in 1706 that George, Prince of Hanover (later King George II), became the official 1st Duke of Cambridge.
Duke of Cumberland (Duke William)  / Duke of Cumberland  -
Prince William, Duke of Cumberland (1721-65), was the son of King George II and Caroline of Ansbach. In 1745 he was recalled from Flanders to lead British troops against the 'Young Pretender', Charles Stuart (Bonnie Prince Charlie) in the Jacobite rising. Having completely routed the Scots at the Battle of Culloden in April 1746, Cumberland led his troops in what became known as the 'pacification' of the Highlands, seeking out and killing rebels and destroying settlements. He afterwards became known as 'butcher Cumberland'.
(Note - his only link to Leicester seems to be that he was born in Leicester House, Leicester Fields [now Leicester Square], London.
Duke of Devonshire  -
'Duke of Devonshire' is a title in the Peerage of England held by the Cavendish family since the 16th century.
Chatsworth  -
Chatsworth House near Bakewell in Derbyshire, is the seat of the Dukes of Devonshire and has been in the Cavendish family since the land was gifted to Sir William Cavendisn (1505-57), the Crown Commissioner responsible for the dissolution of the monasteries under King Henry VIII.
Cavendish and his wife, Bess of Hardwick, began the erection of Chatsworth in 1553. Cavendish died in 1557, but Bess continued to live there until her death in 1608.
Duke of Edinburgh  -
The Dukedom of Edinburgh was created in the Peerage of Great Britain in 1726, the title being bestowed by King George I on his grandson, Prince Frederick Lewis.
Duke of Northumberland  -
The Duke of Northumberland is a title in the Peerage og Great Britain first created in 1551 for John Dudley, Earl of Warwick.
Duke of Rutland  / Rutland Arms  / Rutland Hotel  -
The title 'Earl of Rutland' was first created in the Peerage of England for Edward Plantagenet in 1385, and elevated to a Dukedom in 1703 - the first Duke being John Manners who served as MP for Leicestershire from 1661 to 1679.
Rutland & Derby Arms  -
The link between Rutland and Derby is the Manners family. The Vernon family seat was at Haddon Hall at Bakewell in Derbyshire, and Dorothy (1545-84), daughter of Sir George Vernon, married John Manners (in 1563) who was the second son of Thomas Manners, 1st Earl of Rutland.
The 9th Duke of Rutland, John Henry Montagu Manners (1886-1940) spent most of his life restoring Haddon Hall.
Eagle & Child  -
'Eagle & Child' is a reference to the Stanley's, the Earls of Derby.
In the 14th century, Sir Thomas Latham had an illegitimate son. In a ruse to hide the event he had the child placed beneath a tree in which an eagle happened to have a nest. Later, on a walk with his wife around the estate, they came across the child and Sir Thomas convinced his wife that they should adopt the baby. The daughter, Isobel, later married Sir John Stanley, inheriting the estate and taking up the heraldic eagle and child.
Earl de Grey's Arms  -
'Earl de Grey' was a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom created in 1816. The 2nd Earl, Thomas Philip de Grey (1781-1859) was appointed First Lord of the Admiralty in 1834.
Earl Dysart  -
The 'Earl of Dysart' is a title in the Peerage of Scotland created in 1643 for William Murray.
The connection to Leicestershire started with William Manners Tollemache, Lord Huntingtower (1766-1833), who served as High Sherriff of Leicestershire in 1809. The 9th Earl, William John Manners Tollemache (1859-1935) was Lord Lieutenant of Rutland and Justice of the Peace for Leicestershire and Lincolnshire.
Tollemache Arms  -
The Baronetcy of Tollemache was first created in the Peerage of England in 1611 for Lionel Tollemache (1562-1620), High Sherriff of Suffolk.
The 3rd Baronet, also Lionel (1624-69), married Elizabeth Murray, 2nd Countess of Dysart. Their son, also Lionel (1649-1727) succeeded to both the Baronetcy and the Earldom.
A further Baronetcy of Tollemache was created in the Peerage of Great Britain in 1793 for William Manners (1766-1833), eldest son of Louisa Tollemache, 7th Countess of Dysart, so linking the names Tollemache, Dysart and Manners, the Dukes of Rutland.
The current Tollemache family live in Buckminster Park, former home of the Earl of Dysart, and have a long association with Buckminster Estates.
Earl Grey  -
Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey (1764-1845) was Prime Minister of the UK and Ireland between 1830 and 34. A member of the Whig party, he was a main architect in the formation and passing of the 1832 Reform Act, which, as well as reform to the House of Commons, saw the abolition of slavery throughout the British Empire.
Earl Grey tea is also named after him. There are variations as to the origin of why his name was applied to the tea, but the most likely appears to be that Jackson's of Picadilly claim that, in 1830, Earl Grey gave George Charlton of Robert Jackson & Co. a recipe of tea flavoured with bergamot oil which was blended for him by a Chinese mandarin.
Earl of Leicester  -
The 'Earl of Leicester' is a title in the Peerage of England first created in the 12th century for Robert de Beaumont, and re-created in the Peerage of the United Kingdom in 1837.
Notable Earls of Leicester have included Simon de Montfort, John O'Gaunt, Henry Bolingbroke and Thomas Coke, but perhaps the most well known is Robert Dudley (1532-88), who was a favourite of Queen Elizabeth I. After a life spent in the political intrigue of the Royal Court, Dudley died (possibly of malaria) after returning from serving during the Spanish Arnada in 1588.
Earl of Lancaster (Earl of Leicester)  -
The Earldom of Lancaster was created in the Peerage of England in 1267. The first Earl being Edmund Crouchback (1245-96), son of King Henry III and Eleanor of Provence. Crouchback also became Earl of Leicester after the forfeiture of Simon De Montfort's lands and titles after the Battle of Evesham in 1265. The Earldoms of Lancaster and Leicester were then linked for five more Earldoms, until Henry Bolingbroke became King Henry IV in 1399.
Old Lancaster Inn (Lancaster Arms)  -
The medieval Manor of Desford was part of the Lancaster / Leicester Earldom empire which later became the Duchy of Lancaster, one of the two Royal Duchies of England which are held in trust to the monarchy.
Earl of Stamford  / Earl of Stamford Arms  / Earl Stamford's Arms  / Stamford Arms  -
The 'Earl of Stamford' was a title created in the Peerage of England in 1628 for Henry Grey, Baron of Groby. The original Grey family home was in Bradgate Park, Leicestershire, before being used as a hunting lodge after the family moved to Enville Hall in Staffordshire.
Stamford & Warrington Arms  / Stamford & Warrington Hotel  -
Lady Mary Booth, the only daughter of George Booth (1675-1758), 2nd Earl of Warrington married Henry Grey (1715-68), 4th Earl of Stamford.
She had inherited all the Booth estates and their son was created Earl of Warrington.
The Earl of Stamford and Warrington was the 'Lord Paramount' of the Manors of Donington and Hugglescote.
Exeter Arms  / Marquess of Exeter  -
The 'Marquess of Exeter; is a title first created in the Peerage of England in 1525 for Henry Courtenay
(1496-1539), but it is most associated with the Cecil family, the 2nd Marquess being Sir William Cecil
(1520-98), chief advisor to Queen Elizabeth I, who, as the 1st Baron Burghley was responsible for
beginning the construction of Burghley House, Stamford in 1555.
The pub sign at the 'Marquess of Exeter', Lyddington at one time (now replaced), showed the 6th
Marquess (also Lord Burghley) David George Brownlow Cecil (1905-81), who won a gold medal for the
400m hurdles event at the 1928 Olympics in Amsterdam. He also served as conservative MP for
Peterborough between 1931-43, after which he was appointed Governor of Bermuda, serving until 1945.
David George Browlow Cecil,
Marquess of Exeter
(photograph by Bassano)
Eyres Monsell Social Club & Institute  -
This aerea of Leicester takes its name from Bolton Meredith Eyres Monsell, 1st Viscount Monsell (1881-1969), conservative MP for Evesham who owned the land which was obtained by compulsory purchase (by Leicester Corporation) in the early 1950's.
The estate they built eventually included over 4,500 houses.
Finch's Arms  -
The Finch family is thought to be descended from Henry Fitzherbert, Lord Chamberlain to King Henry I.
The Earldoms of Winchelsea and Nottingham are titles in the Peerage of England created in 1628 and 1681, united in 1729, and, still to this day, associated with the Finch family.
The 9th Earl, George Finch (1752-1826) was Lord Lieutenant of Rutland and, as a keen member of the White Conduit Cricket Club in Islington in the 1780's, commissioned Thomas Lord to find a more private venue for their matches. Land at Dorset Fields in Marylebone was leasded and on 21st May 1787 a match between White's and Middlesex marked the opening of the new ground which soon became known as 'Lords'. White's re-located there and re-named themselves the 'Marylebone Cricket Club', guardians of the laws and the spirit of cricket ever since.
Winchelsea Arms  -
Known from around 1730, the 'Winchelsea Arms' at Greetham was so named because it was part of the estate owned by Daniel Finch,, Earl of Winchelsea and Nottingham.
Flann O'Brien's  -
'Flann O'Brien' was the nom-de-plume of Irish writer Brian O'Nolan (1911-66), his English novels being
'At-Swim-Two-Birds' and 'The Third Policeman'.
Brian O'Nolan AKA Flann O'Brien
Fludyer's Arms  -
Ayston Hall, north-west of Uppingham was built in 1807 for George Fludyer (1762-1827), MP and High Sherriff of Rutland in 1814, who had inherited the land from his mother, widow of Sir Samuel Fludyer (1704-68), who had served as MP and Lord Maypr of London.
Garibaldi  -
Giuseppe Garibaldi (1807-82) was an Italian political agitator who gained popularity as a leader of the
people n the unification of Italy.
During the period of civil conflict in Italy during the 19th century rations were limited, and currants
squashed between two thin layers of biscuit became popular amongst Garibaldi's followers. After a visit
by Garibaldi (to Tynemouth) in 1854, the British took up the recipe and the 'Garibaldi biscuit' was first
made and sold commercially, by Peek Freans, in 1861.
(unknown photograph 1866)
General Tom Thumb  -
'General Tom Thumb' was the stage name of Charles Sherwood Stratton (1838-83), an American dwarf
who performed in the circus of P. T. Barnum. In 1844, as part of a tour of Europe, Barnum and Tom
performed for Queen Victoria and the Royal household at Buckingham Palace, where the Queen's poodle
attacked the youngster, who fought the dog off with a walking stick.
General Tom Thumb (with P. T. Barnum)
Generous Briton  -
This name relates to a book in two volumes titled 'The Generous Briton, or the Authentic Memoirs of William Goldsmith Esq.', written by Edward Kimber in 1765. The dedication was to John Lord, Viscount Ligonier (1680-1770), a French born British soldier who also officiated in the Pitt / Newcastle administration during the Seven Years' War.
Gladstone Arms  / Gladstone Vaults  / Gladstone Working Men's Temperance Club  -
William Ewart Gladstone (1809-98), was a British Liberal politician who served as Prime Minister on four
separate occasions (1868-74, 80-85, February-July 1886 and 1892-94).
William Ewart Gladstone
Gresham Arms  / Gresham House  -
Most public houses with this name relate to Sir Thomas Gresham (1519-79), who was a merchant financier and ounder of the Royal Exchange. Pub digns of this name usually include a grasshopper which was part of Gresham's heraldic arms.
Grosvenor Arms  / Grosvenor Commercial Hotel  -
Sir Richard Grosvenor (1585-1645), was created 1st Baronet Grosvenor in 1622. Born in Cheshire, he served as MP for Cheshire between 1621-29 and is the ancestor of Hugh Grosvenor (1825-99), who, as Earl Grosvenor was created 1st Duke of Westminster in 1874. He also served as a (Whig) MP. He inherited the family home (Eaton Hall in Cheshire) as well as land in Mayfair and Belgravia in London, developments of which have made the amily the richest in the country.
Hastings  / Hastings Arms  / Hastings Arms Hotel  / Hastings Hotel  -
The family name 'Hastings' began with Robert, a Norman knight who had been given the town of Hastings by William the Conquerer after the Battle in 1066.
The Hastings name became associated with Leicestershire when, during the Wat of the Roses, the Manor of Ashby reverted to King Edward IV.
For services rendered during the War (he was Knighted on the battlefield field at Towton in 1461), and his role as Master of the Mint and Lord Chamberlain, William Hastings (1431-83), who happened to be the King's distant cousin, was granted the Manor. He was also High Sherriff of Leicestershire.
William fell foul of the political machinations of the time, when, accused of treason by Richard III's ally, the Duke of Buckingham, he was arrested, and without trial, immediately be-headed. The Manor, however, remained in the Hastings family.
Earl Moira's Arms  / Moira Arms  / Moira Bath Hotel  / Moira Sports & Social Club  -
The village name of 'Moira' close to Ashby was derived from the Irish Earldom of Moira, one of the titles held by the Hastings family.
Marquis of Hastings  / Rawdon Arms  / Rawdon Hotel  -
Elizabeth, daughter of Theophilius Hastings, 9th Earl of Huntingdon, was born at Donington Park in 1731. She married John Rawdon who was created Baron Rawdon of Moira in the County of Down in 1750 and Earl of Moira in 1762.
Donington Hall was built for their son, Francis Edward Rawdon-Hastings (1754-1826), in the 1790's. He was born in Ireland and served in the British Army, fighting in the American War of Independence and the French Revolutionary Wars, eventually rising to the rank of Major-General before becoming an MP in the Irish Parliament. Between 1793 and 1816, he was also Earl of Moira.
He was appointed Governor-General of India in 1812, before being made Marquess of Hastings in 1817. He died at sea (on HMS Revenge) and, in accordance with his wishes, his right hand was severed, returned home, and kept until being buried with his wifes body when she died.
For a period, Rawdon-Hastings was also Earl of Moira.
Countess of Granard  -
Lady Selina Frances Rawdon, Countess of Granard (1759-1827), youngest daughter of George Rawdon, 1st Earl of Moira and his wife Lady Elizabeth Hastings, married George Forbes, 6th Earl of Granard (1760-1837) in 1779. A General in the army, Torbes was created Baron Granard of Castle Donington in 1806.
Hazelrigg Arms  -
Thev name 'Hazelrigg' has evolved over time and its links with Leicestershire can be traced back to 1419 when the Marteval heiress married Thomas Hasilrige. They set up home in the Marteval family seat at Noseley Hall.
The Hasilrige Baronetcy was created in the Peerage of England in 1622 for another Thomas (1564-1629) who served as MP for Leicestershire twice, in 1614 and 1624.
The name was altered to 'Hazelrigg' in 1818 and first used by Sir Arthur Grey Hazelrigg the 11th Baronet of Noseley.
Heathcote Arms  -
The 'Heathcote Arms' in Croft was named after the Heathcote family who lived in the farm and cottages, part of which later became the 'Heathcote Arms'.
The 'Heathcote Arms' in Ketton was named after Sir Gilbert Heathcote, 4th Baronet (1773-1851) who was appointed High Sherriff of Rutland in 1795, and served as MP for Lincolnshire between 1796-1806, and or Rutland between 1812-41. Living at Normanton Hall, his first wife had been Lady Caroline Sophia Manners, daughter of John Manners and Louisa Tollemache, Countess of Dysart.
Aveland Arms  -
Their son, Gilbert John Heathcote (1795-1867) was raised to the Peerage as Baron Aveland in 1856. Born at Normanton Hall, he served as MP (Whig) for Rutland between 1841-56 and as Deputy Lieutenant of Rutland.
Herrick Arms  -
William Herrick (1562-1653) was the son of John Heyrick, an ironmonger in Leicester, who was apprenticed (to his elder brother) in London at the age of 12 to become a goldsmith. Within six years he had become a money lender and had set up his own business. Having made a fortune, he returned to Leicester in 1601, where he was elected MP and made a Freeman of the Borough.
In 1603 he became principal jeweller to the King, and by 1605 had become a Freeman of the City of London. In the same year he was Knighted and also became Prime Warden of the Goldsmith's Company. He is buried in Leicester Cathedral.
His son, also William (1624-93) was principal landowner and Lord of the Manor when Woodthorpe was enclosed in 1662. Beaumanor Hall, close to the nearby village of Woodhouse, was built between 1842-54 for the Herrick family.
Horse & Trumpet (Highcross) -
Gabriel Newton (1683-1762) was a Leicester born wool-comber who became a Freeman of the Borough,
Alderman, and, eventually in 1732, Mayor of Leicester. He also served as Justice of the Peace, Constable
of the Ward and Churchwarden of St. Martin's.
For a number of years (exact dates unknown) he was also landlord of the 'Horse & Trumpet', a public
house 'near the High Cross'. Newton was a Tory, and the 'Horse & Trumpet' became a Tory meeting
place, but was also rumoured to be a gathering place for Jacobite sympathizers.
Newton was a man of the Church, the King and certainly a man with a Civic responsibility, and with no
surviving male heir, used a large part of his wealth to fund the 'religious education of children'.
This eventually led to the establishment of the charitable 'Newton's School of Greencoats' in St. Martin's.
He made many other charitable bequests and set up other charitable trusts, including the 'Alderman
Newton Foundation', which, still to this day, offers 'grants for a wide range of educational activities,
including social and physical training, to individuals under the age of 25 who are in need of financial
assistance, and who are normally resident within the City of Leicester, and, to any maintained Church of
England or other maintained schools within the City or Diocese of Leicester for projects of any kind that
would not normally be provided by the local Education Authority'.
Further evidence of his legacy exists in the guise of New College on Greencoat Road, Leicester, which was opened in 1999 after the merger of the New Parks and Alderman Newton schools, and currently caters for a total of over 750 mixed students between the ages of 11 and 18.
He is commemorated by one of the four statues on the Clock Tower.
Howe Arms  / Curzon Arms  -
The name Curzon became the Anglicised version from the French when inhabitants from the town of Notre-Dame-de-Courson in Normandy accompanied William in his conquest of England in 1066.
Kedleston Hall, in Derbyshire, became the family seat in 1297.
Gopsall Hall was built for Charles Jennens in 1750. He died childless and left the estate to his niece, and by marriage, it came to Penn Asheton Curzon whose son was created 1st Lord Howe. The 2nd Lord Howe served as MP for South Leicestershire between 1857-70.
The present Gopsall Park Farm is part of the Crown Estates.
The church of St. James in Twycross, was built during the 13th century, but its East windows incorporate stained glass (dating from approximately 1145), from Saint Chappelle and the Cathedral of St. Denis in Paris which was brought to England after the French Revolution and subsequently given to Earl Howe of Gopsall by King William IV.
Huntingdon Arms (White Hart)  -
With the execution of William Hastings in 1483, Ashby became the seat of his descendants, one of whom was George Hastings (1488-1544) who was created 1st Lord of Huntingdon by King Henry VIII in 1529.
John O'Gaunt  -
John O'Gaunt (1340-99), 1st Duke of Lancaster, aws the fourth son of King Edward III. The name 'Gaunt' being a corruption of 'Ghent' in Belgium where he was born.
He effectively became ruler of England as his father grew more senile, but acceded to his nephew, the 10 year old Richard II after his fathers death in 1377. He died (of natural causes) at Leicester Castle in February 1399, and is buried in St. Paul's Cathedral in London.
Keck's Arms  -
Geoege Anthony Legh Keck (1784-1860) was born in Stoughton and rose to the rank of Lt. Colonel in
the Leicestershire Yeomanry.
He also served as Member of Parliament for Leicestershire for five consectutive parliaments between
(Note - a notable public house link is that between 1798-1801 Keck served as joint MP for Leicestershire
with Edmund Cradock-Hartopp, associated with the 'Cradock' in Knighton).
George Anthony Legh Keck
Langton Arms  -
The 'Langton Arms' pub sign in Church Langton is a representation of a coat of arms of the Langton family. It is not an official coat of arms, but does show two elements which are - a double headed eagle and a red chevroned yellow shield.
The Langton family are recorded in the area before the Norman Conquest, with a branch of the family moving to Lancashire.
The family motto is 'Faithful unto death'.
Latimer Ward Conservative Club  -
The Latimer connection to Leicestershire comes with Hugh Latimer (c1487-1555), who was born to a farming family in Thurcaston.
Educated at Cambridge he became a priest in 1515 and was appointed Bishop of Worcester in 1535. He became embroiled in the protestant / catholic machinations of the Tudor period and, in 1539, was imprisoned in the Tower of London for opposing King Henry VIII's 'six articles'.
He was restored to favour under King Edward VI, but when Queen Mary I came to the throne, he was again arrested, tried for his beliefs and doctrines, found guilty and burned at the stake in Oxford. Together with Nicholas Ridley and Thomas Cranmer, who were also burned, Latimer became known as one of the 'Oxford Martyrs'.
Lord Bassett's Arms  -
William Bassett, the ancestor of the Bassetts of Sapcote, was the son of Ralph Bassett who held the office of 'Justice o England' under King Henry I.
Lord Byron  -
Lord George Gordon Byron (1788-1824) was an English poet and leading romanticist, as well known for his personal excesses as for his poetry.
Lady Caroline Lamb decribed him as, 'mad, bad and dangerous to know'.
Always heavily in debt and after allegations of sodomy and incest, Byron left England, and for eight years travelled around the Meditteranean, finishing up in Greece where he died in 1824, aged 36.
Lord Clifden  -
Viscount Clifden of Gowran in the County of Kilkenny, was a title in the Peerage of Ireland created in 1781 for James Agar, MP for Gowran.
Lord Denman  -
Thomas Denman, 1st Baron Denman (1779-1854) was a British lawyer and judge who served as 'Lord Chief Justice' between 1832-50.
Lord Durham  -
Born in London, John George Lambton (1792-1840) was the 1st Earl of Durham. He was a statesman, Governor General of Canada and High Commissioner of British North America.
The pub named 'Lord Durham' in Albion Street seems to have begun life shortly after his premature death in 1840.
Lord John Russell  / Earl Russell  -
'Lord John Russell' (1792-1878) was an English Whig politician who was instrumental in reforming the
party, and, in 1839, re-named it 'Liberal'.
He served two terms as Prime Minister (1846-52 and 65-66) and 'Earl Russell' was a title created in the
Peerage of the Uk, for him, in 1861.
He was also the grandfather of philosopher Bertrand Russell.
Lord John Russel
Lord Keeper of the Great Seal  -
Local history sources record that the 'Lord Keeper of the Great Seal' refers to a title which was bestowed upon Oadby's Lord of the Manor in 1400. The post, established during the reign of Edward the Confessor, was an earlier version of today's Chancellor of the Exchequer.
However, the brewery website states that the public house name relates to a later Lord of the Manor, Sir Nathan Wright, who held the office of Lord Keeper of the Great Seal between 1700-05.
Lord Lyon  -
The 'Lord Lyon', King of Arms is the most junior of the Great Officers of State in Scotland and is responsible for the regulation of heraldry. The office dates from the 14th century and is equivalent to that of the 'Earl Marshal' in England.
Lord Melbourne  -
William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne (1779-1848) was a Whig who served as Prime Minister for a short period in 1834, and then again from 1835-41 and was in office when Queen Victoria came to the throne in 1837.
Lord Warden  / Warden('s) Arms  -
'Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports' is an honorary position dating back to at least the 12th century and relates to the five port towns of Hastings, New Romney, Hythe, Dover and Sandwich on the southeast coast of England.
Loudon Arms  -
The Earldom of Loudon is a title created in the Peerage of Scotland in 1633 for John Campbell (1598-1662). The Leicestershire connection began in 1804 when Flora Mure-Campbell, 6th Countess of Loudon married Francis Rawdon-Hastings, 2nd Earl of Moira.
Mansfield's Head  -
The 'Earl of Mansfield' is a title in the Peerage of Great Britain first created in 1776 for William Murray (1705-93), a Scottish politician and judge who served as Lord Chief Justice, and is recognized for his many modernizing reforms in both the law and the courts.
Marquis of Queensbury  -
With history as a boxing venue, the 'Clarence Hotel' in South Wigston changed its name to the 'Marquis
of Queensbury'. John Sholto Douglas, 9th Marquis of Queensbury (1844-1900) was, together with
John G. Chambers, responsible for ormulating the rules of boxing from 1872.
He was also the father of Lord Alfred Douglas and was heavily involved in the libel case which saw
Oscar Wilde sent to Reading Gaol.
John Sholto Douglas, Marquis of Queensbury
(unknown photograph 1896)
Milton's Head  -
John Milton (1608-74) was an English poet and writer. As Latin Secretary in Cromwell's government, he defended the imprisonment and execution of King Charles I. The Restoration saw him fined and driven into retirement, where, blind, he dictated his most famous work 'Paradise Lost'.
Monckton Arms  -
George Monckton, grandson of the 1st Viscount Galway, acquired the Manor of Glaston in the middle of the 19th century.
Moore Arms  / Moore's Arms  -
Charles Moore (1578-1625) purchased the Manor of Appleby Parva in 1599. The estate remained in the Moore family until 1919, when, due to financial difficulties, it was split into various lots and auctioned off. Charles Moore and his wife moved to Street in Devon and Appleby Hall was demolished during the 1920's.
Neville Arms  -
The Nevill family's rise to power began shortly after the Norman Conquest, and by the 14th century they owned many esttates throughout the North and Midlands.
Together with the Percy's, the Nevill's became one of the two most powerful families in England, and although the Nevill's were on the losing side of the War of the Roses, they, through their Royal patronage as the Earls of Warwick, became the richest family in the country.
The two families rivalry was buried when they came together in 1569 in what became known as the 'Revolt of the Northern Earls', which tried to overthrow Queen Elizabeth I and replace her with Mary, Queen of Scots. The revolt failed and the 6th Earl of Westmorland, Charles Nevill (1542-1601) fled to exile abroard. Having lost his title and lands, and with no male heir, the senior Nevill line ended. However, a junior branch survived and after long legal battles the Nevill inheritance was split between Mary Nevill and her cousin Edward. Through her son Francis, the Nevill families senior title of Earl of Westmorland passed to the Fane family, where it still resides, whereas the descendants of Edward became firstly the Earls, and later the Marquesses, of Abergavenny, again, a line which still continues.
Noel's Arms  -
The Noel families association with Rutland began in 1533 when Andrew Noel was appointed King's Feodary. He was also Sherriff of Rutland and its MP. His son, Andrew bought the Manor of Langham in 1600, and his grandson, Edward, 1st Baron Noel of Ridlington, succeeded to the title Viscount Campden and to the Exton estate. Edward, later (1682) was created Earl of Gainsborough.
North Briton  -
'The North Briton' was a weekly newspaper first printed in London in 1762.
John Wilkes was an English radical and supporter of Britain's involvement in the 'Seven Years War', who started the 'North Briton' in response to the pro-government paper, 'The Briton'.
In the paper, Wilkes openly criticized the Earl of Bute's government for what was seen as capitulation in agreeing to the terms of a peace treaty with France and Spain. He was arrested, charged with libel, and imprisoned in the Tower of London. He eventually won the case and his resistance to power, and promotion of free speech, quickly made him a champion of the people.
Always a thorn in the side of the authorities, Wilkes suffered both periods of exile and imprisonment, before, with much support from the populace, he became, firstly a Sherriff of London, and eventually, in 1774, Lord Mayor.
However, his popularity as a 'man of the people' was lost when troops under his command, defending the Bank of England, fired on rioters during the anti-catholic 'Gordon Riots' of 1780, killing many.
Wilkes spent his final years as a magistrate pursuing more moderate punishment for disobedient household servants. He died in 1797.
Northwick Arms  -
Named after the Northwick family who owned land and property in Ketton including the quarries.
Packe Arms  -
The 'Marquis of Granby' in Hoton was re-named the 'Packe Arms' by Charles James Packe (1758-1837), whose family home was Prestwold Hall, when he restored and renovated it in the early 1800's. A date stone above the entrance reads, '1831 C. J. P.'.
Page's Wine Lodge  -
Before founding and opening his wine business in Hotel Street in 1847, Frederick Page was a woodcarver. He lived in St. Albans Road and would often walk to and from work dressed in a Spanish costume and with sandwich boards advertising the business.
His family ran the business until 1966 when it was sold to Yates's.
Paget Arms  -
Thomas Paget (1778-1862) came from a farming family near Ibstock and, after turning to banking and politics, moved to Humberstone Hall and then to Lubenham where the family acquired the Manor in 1843.
Palmers' Arms  -
Matthew Johnson bought the Manor of Owston from Robert, Earl of Ailesbury in 1696. By 1775 the Manor had descended into the Palmer family of Withcote, where it stayed until the end of the 19th century. The manorial rights lapsed in 1926 with the sale of the Owston estate.
Palmerston Arms  -
Henry John Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston, (normally known as 'Lord Palmerston'), was an
English member of parliament who served two separate periods as Prime Minister (1855-58 and
1859-65) and was the last Prime Minister to die in office.
(BBC Hutton picture library c1860)
Paul Pry  -
'Paul Pry' was a farce in three acts written by English playwright John Poole (1786-1872) which premiered in 1825, the lead character being a curious and mischievous fellow.
Peeping Tom  -
'Peeping Tom' refers to a tailor named Tom who was the only unhabitant of Coventry who dared to look as the naked Lady Godiva rode through the streets as part of her pact with husband Lord Leofric in the 11th century. Tom was reputedly struck blind.
Perkins' Arms  -
The Manor of Orton-on-the-Hill together with Orton Hall belongs to the Perkins family.
President Lincoln  -
Abraham Lincoln (1809-65) was the 16th President of the United States, serving from March 1861 until
his assassination in April 1865.
Whig party leader and a Republican, Lincoln was President during the American Civil War, but is
probably best remembered for his part in the abolition of slavery.
He was shot, in the back of the head, at point blank range whilst attending a performance of the play
'Our American Cousin' at Ford's Theatre in Washington DC, and died nine hours later.
The assassin was John Wilkes Booth, an actor and Confederate spy who escaped, but after being on
the run for ten days, was found on a farm in Virginia and shot (again in the back of the head) by
Thomas P. Corbett, a sargeant in the Union Army, who had been born in London, England in 1832.
(photograph by Alexander Gardner 1863)
Richard Cobden  -
The public houses 'Richard Cobden' and 'Sir Robert Peel' on Jarrom Street are linked in so far as it
was Richard Cobden who was instrumental in reforming and repealing the 'Corn Laws' during the
Parliament under Prime Minister Robert Peel in 1846.
Richard Cobden (1804-65) was one of eleven children born into poverty in Sussex, but bought up by
an uncle in Yorkshire, before, at fourteen, becoming a clerk in the textile industry. At 24, with two others,
he started his own calico selling business in London. It was very successful and Cobden travelled widely.
In 1838, one year after the first Association was set up in London, Cobden, together with Archibald
Prentice, established a branch of the 'Anti-Corn Law Association' in Manchester. Within a year Cobden
had formed a centralized, national 'Anti-Corn Law League'.
He was elected MP for Stockport in 1841 and was instrumental in the repeal of the Corn Laws in 1846.
Salisbury Arms  -
'Marquess of Salisbury' is a title in the Peerage of Great Britain first created in 1789 for James Cecil
(1748-1823), the 7th Earl of Salisbury, but the best known was the 3rd Marquess, Robert Arthur
Talbot Gasgoyne-Cecil (1830-1903), who served as Prime Minister on three separate occasions.
Robert Arthur Talbot Gasgoyne-Cecil,
3rd Marquess of Salisbury
(photograph by William Cooper 1883)
Shakespeare  / Shakespeare's Head  -
William Shakespeare (1564-1616), born in Stratford-upon-Avon, is considered by many to be England's greatest poet and playwright.
Sir Frank Whittle  -
Air Commadore Sir Frank Whittle (1907-96) was an RAF engineer who is credited with inventing the
turbojet engine which was developed at the British Thomson-Houston works in Lutterworth and
Rugby during the 1930.s and 40's.
Sir Frank Whittle
Sir Henry Halford's Arms  / Halford Arms  -
Sir Henry Halford, 1st Baronet (1766-1844) was born in Leicester and became Royal physician to
King George III in 1793. He subsequently served George IV, William IV and Queen Victoria until his
own death in 1844. His grandfather Henry Vaughan and father Dr. James Vaughan, were surgeons
with premises in Leicester (on the corner of New Street and Friar Lane).
ather James was active in the foundation of the Leicester Royal Infirmary.
The title came through the maternal line through Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Richard Halford,
5th Baronet of Wistow Hall in Leicestershire.
Sir Henry Halford, 2nd Baronet (1797-1868) was a Tory and Conservative politician who served as
MP for South Leicestershire between 1832-57.
Sir Henry Halford, 1st Baronet
(portrait by Sir William Beechey)
Sir Robert Peel  -
Robert Peel (1788-1850) was born into a wealthy Lancastrian cotton family. Educated at Harrow and
Oxford, he became MP for Cashel in County Tipperary at the age of 21. He eventually served two
terms as Prime Minister, and although the 'Corn Laws' were repealed during his second term, it is
perhaps what he did whilst serving as Home Secretary from 1822, that he is most remembered for.
The 'Metropolitan Police Act 1929' saw the establishment of the Metropolitan Police, with the first
recruits being nicknamed 'Bobbies' or 'Peelers' after Peel.
Sir Robert Peel
(portrait by Evert A. Duyckinick 1873)
Sir Thomas White  -
Sir Thomas White (1492-1567) was born in Reading and never set foot in Leicester, but is associated
with the City, and notably commemorated by his statue on the Clock Tower for the charity he founded
which, still to this day, provides interest free loans to people between the ages of 18 and 35 who
which to set up business in Leicestershire and Rutland.
His other connection to Leicestershire was that he was the chairman of the commission for the trial
of the Nine Days Queen, Lady Jane Grey, whose family home was in Bradgate Park.
Sir Thomas White
(Leicester Clock Tower statue)
Sondes' Arms  -
The title of 'Baron Sondes' was created in the Peerage o Great Britain in 1760 for Lewis Watson (1728-95).
Born the Honorable Lewis Monson, he assumed the name Watson on succeeding to the estates of his cousin, Thomas Watson, 3rd Earl of Rockingham, in 1746.
Storey Arms  -
The Storey family are Lords of the Manor at Osgathorpe, beginning with the Rev. Philip Story of Lockington in 1802.
The pub was named specifically for Bainbridge Storey, a local benefactor.
Thomas Cook Inn  -
Named to commemorate the man who organised the first 'excursion' of a railway trip for 540 passengers from Leicester to Loughborough (in 1841) which led to the formation of the first, and still operating, travel agency,b 'Thomas Cook' is an ironic name for a public house as he was a Baptist preacher who led the Temperance movement in Leicester.
(Note - see 'Temperance' section in 'Derivations' for further details).
Tiger's Head  -
'Tiger' has a number of meanings when used as an inn sign, but 'Tiger's Head' originally signified a connection with the Walsingham family of Norfolk, whose coat of arms includes a tiger's head.
Turpins Bar  -
Richard 'Dick' Turpin (1706-39) was the son of butcher and innkeeper John Turpin of Hempstead, Essex. His exploits as a celebrated highwayman are well recorded, and although he certainly was a highwayman, the romanticized tales including his overnight ride from London to York on 'Black Bess' are all myth.
A member of the Gregory gang, he began with cattle rustling and smuggling, but his (and their) speciality was terrorizing occupants of isolated farmhouses in order to steal anything. In 1735, narrowly escaping capture, he joined forces (living in a cave in Epping Forest) with highwayman 'Captain' Tom King. By 1737, with the huge sum of £100 on his head, Turpin was challenged at gunpoint by a gamekeeper named Morris, whom he shot and killed. In the aftermath he stole a horse, but whilst stabled at the 'Red Lion' in Whitechapel, it was identified as stolen and constables arrived. King was killed in the ensuing fight, but Turpin escaped.
He surfaced in Yorkshire under the name John Palmer, where, two years later he was arrested after a dispute with his landlord. Writing to his brother in London from the dungeons of York Castle for help proved to be his downfall. Although signed 'John Palmer' the letter was seen by Turpin's former schoolteacher and recognized as his handwriting. Alerting the authorities, Smith (the schoolteacher) was sent to York to identify the suspect, which he did. Turpin was convicted of various crimes and sentenced to death - a sentence which comprised a hanging at York racecourse for which Turpin hired 5 mourners at 10 shillings each.
Stretton Highwayman  -
Originally a coaching inn on the Great North Road (Oak Inn 1780) the 'Stretton Highwayman' at Greetham had a restaurant named 'Turpin's', however, as with all pubs associated with Dick Turpin, there is more myth than fact.
Wentworth Arms  -
The 'Wentworth Arms' at Elmesthorpe shows the coat of arms of the Wentworth family.
As the two strands of the Wentworth family originate from Sheffield in Yorkshire and Ely in Cambridgeshire, it is not clear what the connection to Elmesthorpe (or Leicestershire) actually is - further research required.
Whittington & His Cat  -
Richard Whittington (1354-1423) was an Mp, Sherriff and three times Lord Mayor of London, who became the model for the pantomine character 'Dick Whittington'. The story began with a stage play in 1604, telling of a poor Gloucestershire boy's journey to fortune and fame in London.
Whittington was indeed a real person, but his poverty and the cat were purely fictional.
Whittington died without an heir and left a number of bequeaths in his will, including the setting up of a charity which still, nearly 600 years later continues (through the Mercer's Company) to support people in need.
As part of his civil duties in London, he collected revenues and import duties, and was part of a long running dispute over standard prices and measures of ale with the Company of Brewers, which he eventually won.
Wigley's Arms  -
The name 'Wigley' began its association with Scraptoft after the dissolution when the Manor was leased (for 80 years) to one Henry Wigley.
It remained in the Wigley family until the male line ended with the death of James Wigley, MP, in 1765. However, a link remained with the marriage of James Wigley's sister Letitia who had earlier married into the new Lords of the Manor, the Hartopp family.
William Wygston  / Wygston's House  -
Born in Leicester, William Wyggeston (1467-1536) was a successful wool merchant who became a
Freeman of the Borough in 1493 and served as Mayor twice. He was also Mayor of Calais during
England's occupation of the French port.
He became Leicester's richest citizen, and, without an heir, also became Leicester's largest benefactor.
Having founded and endowed a Chantry House in the Newarke in 1511, he went on to found
almshouses for 12 men and 12 women of Leicester, which came to be known as Wyggeston's Hospital.
Today, the Hospital still makes an annual grant to the Trustees of the Wyggeston Schools Foundation
for grants to students.
He is one of the four statues commemorated on the Clock Tower where his name is spelt
(Leicester Clock Tower statue)
Yates's Wine Lodge  / Yates's  -
The first 'Yates's Wine Lodge' was opened by Peter and Simon Yates, in Oldham, in 1884 with the motto "moderation is true temperance"
Simon Yates had learnt business methods in America and 'Yates's' became the first pub chain in England. It sold its own range of drinks called 'blobs', (mixes of wine, brandy, sugar, lemon and hot water), which had a high alcohol content and were relatively cheap, aimed at attracting a younger clientel. So, despite their motto, Yates's could be said to have been the instigators of what, in later times, would become the instigation of alcopops and of the binge drinking culture.