Derivation of Leicestershire and Rutland Public House Names - Transport
Boat  / Boat Inn  / Boat & Engine  -
The 'Boat & Engine' on Bath Lane was originally associated with the two wharfs ('Vauxhall' and 'West Bridge'), which were built during the 1790's. It was re-named the 'Bath Hotel' in 1880 after public baths were built on the West side of Bath Lane in 1879.
From 1907 the 'Bath Hotel' was run by William (Bill) Sherriff, a local champion boxer who fought under the ring name of 'Young Bruce'. He ran boxing booths and a training ring at the pub.
Boat House  / Heanor (Shipley) Boat  / Ship  / Ship Inn 
Coach & Horses  / Coaching Inn  / Coach House  -
Coaching Inns which provided bed and board as well as stabling became an important element in the development of the roads and turnpikes between the 17th and 19th centuries. The initial prmis was that stage and mail coach stops shoukd be set at intervals of approximately 7 miles.
Defiance  -
Public houses named 'Defiance' were either named after an association with the mail coach named 'Defiance', or with a naval link after many Royal Navy ships named 'Defiance'.
Concorde  -
'Concorde' was a turbo-jet powered supersonic airliner developed jointly by France and Britain which first flew in 1969. It operated in commercial service between 1976 and 2013.
Debdale Wharf Inn  -
In 1797 the Leicestershire and Northamptonshire Union Canal reached the tiny hamlet of Debdale with the building of a wharf, warehouse and the 'Debdale Wharf Inn'. For a period this became a terminus on the canal system where goods were stockpiled for onward transportation by horse and cart. The main traffic being coal.
Engine  / Engine Inn  / New Engine Inn  / Old Engine  / Engine & Tender  -
All inns associated with the rise of the railways.
Flying Saucer  -
The term 'Flying Saucer' came into the language in 1947 when Kenneth A. Arnold (1915-84) reported the sighting of nine unidentified flying objects over Mount Rainier in Washington State, which he described as "saucer like".
Flying Scud  -
In nautical terms 'scud' means to run before a gale with little or no sail set, and public houses with this name usually reflect an early landlordship by a retired sailor.
Great Central Hotel  -
The 'Great Central Railway' line ran through Leicester with the station on Great Central Street,
operating between 1899 and its closure in 1969.
A double track heritage line still operates between Loughborough and Leicester.
Great Central Steet Railway Station bar
Great Northern Hotel  -
The station forming the Leicester terminus of the 'Great Northern Railway' was on Belgrave Road and opened on 2nd October 1882. The 'Great Northern Hotel' appears for the first time in the 1883 Directory, and is listed at 290-292 Belgrave Gate, which was on the opposite side of the road to the station.
Great Northern Inn 
Hansom Cab  -
The Hansom Cab was a two wheeled, horse drawn cab with a driver mounted at the rear.
It was designed by Joseph Hansom (1803-82) in 1834, and developed and tested in Hinckley.
Joseph Hansom was an architect born in York, but associated with Leicester, where he designed the
Noncomformist Proprietary School in New Walk, which later became the Museum and Art Gallery,
and the United Baptist Chapel in Belvoir Street, better known as the 'Pork Pie Chapel'.
(photograph by John Thompson 1877)
Leicester Lifeboat  / Lifeboat  -
The City of Leicester has carried out fundraising for the RNLI since 1845, providing a number of lifeboats named after the City, the latest being an Atlantic 85 class in-shore lifeboat named 'Leicester Challenge III'. Based at Redcar and launched in 2012, it is thought to be the 14th lifeboat funded by the people of Leicester, with, over the years, boats based at Redcar, Skegness, Tobermory, Staithes & Runswick and Gorleston.
Lively Lady  -
The 'Lively Lady' public house on Ethel Road was built in the late 1960's and named to commemorate
Sir Alec Rose's single handed circumnavigation of the globe in his yacht 'Lively Lady' in 1968.
London & North Western Railway Vaults  --
umberstone Road Railway Station was opened in 1875 by the 'Midland Railway', on what is now the Midland main line from London.
The station, which was a Grade II listed building, closed in 1968 and was eventually sold to the Leicestershire County Council (for £1 + VAT), who moved it brick by brick for re-building as an information centre at Shenton Station, being the Southern terminus of the 'Battlefield Line Railway' close to Bosworth Field.
Mayflower  -
The 'Mayflower' was the ship which transported the Pilgrim Fathers to Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1620.
Navigation  / Navigation Inn  -
All inns associated with the rise of the canals.
Packhorse  / (Old) Pack Horse  / Pack Horse Inn  / Old Packhorse  -
In Britain, before the rise of the turnpikes and the canals during the 18th century, pack horses were used extensively to transport goods across country, and, still today, we have a rich reminder of 'packhorse roads', 'packhorse bridges' and 'Packhorse public houses'.
Pelican  -
See under Animals, Agriculture and Hunting.
Railway  / Railway Arms  / Railway Guard  / Railway Inn  / Railway Hotel  / Railway Tavern  / Railroad  /
Midland Railway  / Top Railway  / Charnwood Forest Railway Inn  / Leicester Railwaymen's Club & Institute  /
Station Hotel  / Station Inn  -
All obvious connections with the rise of the railways.
Red Arrow  -
The Royal Air Force aerobatic team is called the 'Red Arrows'. It began in 1965 under the leadership of Flight Lieutenant Lee Jones at RAF Fairford in Gloucestershire.
Rocket  -
The 'Rocket' was an early steam locomotive, designed and built by Robert Stephenson for the Rainhill Trials in 1829.
An innovative design, the 'Rocket' went on to win the trials (achieving a top speed of 24 MPH), and influenced all steam engine design which followed.
Royal Mail  -
The 'Royal' aspect og the mail service began in 1516 when King Henry VII established a 'Master of the Posts'. The service became availble to the public in 1635 under King Charles I.
The first 'mail train' ran between Liverpool and Manchester in 1830.
The 'Royal Mail' public house in Campbell Street, Leicester was certainly associated with the railway, but most pubs named 'Royal Mail' relate to the coaching age when the mail was transported between Cities by coaches named 'Royal Mail'.
Signal  -
Named for its proximity to the railway line.
Stag & Castle  -
The Leicester and Swannington Railway was one of the earliest lines built in England with the first section to Bagworth opening on 17th July 1832.
The first train was pulled by the 'Comet' and driven by George Stephenson and his son, Robert.
The 'Stag & Castle', adjacent to the railway embankment at Thornton, served as a 'station' where a red flag or red lamp was hoisted on a pole to stop trains in order to pick up any passengers. It was recorded that the 'Stag & Castle' was used for this purpose because it served refreshments which were not available at Bagworth Station.
Steam Trumpet  -
A ' steam trumpet' was a warning device invented and patented by George Stephenson in 1833 after an accident at the level crossing between Bagworth and Thornton on the Leicester to Swannington line. Stephenson developed the trumpet with help from a musical instrument maker on Duke Street in Leicester.
Mounted on the top of the boiler's steam dome, the trumpet design was soon refined into a 'steam whistle' which lasted over a long period expanding its use to steam ships and to signify shift changes in factories.
Terminus Hotel  -
Named for its proximity to Leicester's London Road railway station.
Tramway Inn  -
The first tramway in Leicester started with a horse-drawn operation in 1874 on a route from the Clock Tower along Belgrave Road to Belgrave, and the 'Artilleryman' public house on Bedford Street changed its name to the 'Tramway Inn' one year later.
Transport Club  -
In-house club at the Leicester City Transport Depot on Rutland Street from 1969.
Wheel  / Old Wheel Inn  / Wheel Inn  -
Often used because of the simplicity of the sign, but also for the 'Worshipful Company of Wheelwrights' who were granted a Royal Charter in 1670 by King Charles II.
Steering Wheel